8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2011 3:06 PM by AJ RSS

Patching the Grid infrastructure & RAC Rdbms stack

AJ
      Hi everyone

I've been handed the task of patching a 11.2.0.2 RAC installation (applying GI+DB bundle 3). I've got a lot of experince with RAC but the "problem" is that this is an exadata environment - which i've never touched and don't know much about.

Are there any special considerations I should think of before patching (in general - just not the GI bundle i mentioned above) when the underlying beast is an exadata? Do I have to do anything with the Exadata Software/the cells etc? As of yet I dont know what type of exadata machine I'm going to deal with.

Please advise - getting a little nervous here ;)

Thank you!
        • 1. Re: Patching the Grid infrastructure & RAC Rdbms stack
          andy.colvin
          Make sure that you've gone through the readme a few times for the patch so that you know what to expect. You most likely will be able to use "opatch auto" assuming that all the homes are 11.2.0.2, and that you want to patch them all in one shot. Make sure that you create your OCM response file before starting the patch ($ORACLE_HOME/OPatch/ocm/bin/emocmrsp).

I'd check through the supported versions note (888828.1) to cross-reference the storage server version (imageinfo) against the bundle patch version to make sure that you aren't getting one patch type (bundle patch) too far from the version of the storage server (exadata storage server patch).
          • 2. Re: Patching the Grid infrastructure & RAC Rdbms stack
            Dan.Norris-Oracle
            I'd strongly suggest considering the Oplan out-of-place patching method. See note 1306814.1 for Oplan details.

I also hope you had a typo - no one should be installing 11.2.0.2 BP3 at this point. BP11 was released last week, so there are at least 8 better choices than BP3 available. You should consider installing the current release or something close to it at least.

There are currently no dependencies between BPs and Exadata versions, but if you're upgrading/patching the environment, it is a good idea to stay current on Exadata software as well. As Andy mentioned, note 888828.1 has all the info and links to some other notes that will be helpful too.
            • 3. Re: Patching the Grid infrastructure & RAC Rdbms stack
              AJ
              Thank you for your replies!

I will go through the mentioned support notes.

Yes, it was a typo, i meant PSU 3 not bundle 3.

Regards
              AJ
              • 4. Re: Patching the Grid infrastructure & RAC Rdbms stack
                AJ
                I have a follow-up question:

How do i determine the exadata storage server software version?

Thanks a lot!
                • 5. Re: Patching the Grid infrastructure & RAC Rdbms stack
                  Marc Fielding
                  Hello AJ,

Oracle makes Exadata-specific bundle patches for the database software rather than PSU patches. The bundle patches contain many of the same fixes as PSU's, but are released more often and contain Exadata-specific bugfixes. My Oracle Support note 888828.1 lists the most current release of each type of Exadata-related patch (not just database bundle patches, but storage server software and firmware for various hardware components).

To see storage server software version, log into the storage server and run "imageinfo"

Hope this helps!

Marc
                  • 6. Re: Patching the Grid infrastructure & RAC Rdbms stack
                    AJ
                    Let's see if I got this right:

When dealing with exadata i should forget all about GI+DB PSU's (latest one being PSU 3 - 11.2.0.2.3) which I'm used to, and only apply the BP 11 for GI&DB as noted as current in 888828.1?

Thanks a lot!
                    • 7. Re: Patching the Grid infrastructure & RAC Rdbms stack
                      andy.colvin
                      That's correct....on Exadata, PSUs are released through bundle patches. I'd advise that if this is a production system and you don't have anywhere to test, I'd not go straight to BP11, as it's been out for less than a week. I've found that it's best to stay a little behind the cutting edge with regard to Exadata. Even Oracle recommends to stay back a little bit, unless you have to. From the supported versions note (888828.1):

+A patch should be installed on a production system only after it has been validated in a proper test environment, and no less than one month after release to allow field experience to solidify.+

I can't stress enough how important it is on Exadata to test patches thoroughly before applying them into production environments.
                      • 8. Re: Patching the Grid infrastructure & RAC Rdbms stack
                        AJ
                        Thank you all for being so helpful! Really appricated! :)

Regards,
                        AJ