8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2011 8:30 AM by rfnel

Making Money From Java Programming Solo?

Hi I'm a college graduate in computer science. I have been having trouble getting a job in programming. I would like to program and make money from it. I really would like to make money asap off of coding. I'm not a professional and an entry level java developer. I mostly know how to program with swing, so mainly GUI swing programming.

My question is what is the fastest way to make money from coding in Java solo being at my level?

Should I try to make a desktop application and make it shareware??

Or should try to learn Java EE and make a web application and make money through ads or something?

Please any tips or resources to help me in my situation would be great. Also leads or tips on how to get on projects for pay or actually getting a Java Development job at my level (entry level) would be nice also any tips on improving my skill or suggestion of what skill level i should be at to make money off java coding would be fine too,

but my main concern right now is how to make money off of java coding solo asap...

Edited by: user8675287 on Sep 27, 2011 11:31 PM
        • 1. Re: Making Money From Java Programming Solo?
          Kayaman
          user8675287 wrote:
          Hi I'm a college graduate in computer science. I have been having trouble getting a job in programming. I would like to program and make money from it. I really would like to make money asap off of coding. I'm not a professional and an entry level java developer. I mostly know how to program with swing, so mainly GUI swing programming.

My question is what is the fastest way to make money from coding in Java solo being at my level?

Or should try to learn Java EE and make a web application and make money through ads or something?
          I'd say a web developer has more chances of getting a job than someone that only does Swing. Shareware will get you nothing, since there are better applications available for free.

Please any tips or resources to help me in my situation would be great. Also leads or tips on how to get on projects for pay or actually getting a Java Development job at my level (entry level) would be nice also any tips on improving my skill or suggestion of what skill level i should be at to make money off java coding would be fine too,

but my main concern right now is how to make money off of java coding solo asap...
          If you know almost nothing, there's no way to make money off of it. Your only chance is to keep learning different things and try to apply for entry level positions.
          Of course you probably should look at the job offers to see what technologies are wanted and concentrate on learning those.
          • 2. Re: Making Money From Java Programming Solo?
            Kayaman wrote:
            If you know almost nothing, there's no way to make money off of it. Your only chance is to keep learning different things and try to apply for entry level positions.
            Of course you probably should look at the job offers to see what technologies are wanted and concentrate on learning those.
            And there's a good chance you'll have to start with something other than programming, such as tech support. While you're doing whatever non-programming job you can get, if you can find a need for a simple tool of some sort, develop it on your own time, and make it available to your team or your boss, that may be a way to get your foot in the door if a programming position opens up.

I don't want do discourage you, but the reality is that right now the economy sucks, and there are still hordes of unqualified programmer wannabes from the dot-com implosion flooding the job market. For the few jobs that open up, hiring managers are currently looking almost exclusively at people with several years of real experience. Unless you personally know somebody who's hiring or invent the Next Big Thing (like Facebook big), you're probably not going to make money programming "asap". If you have skills and are willing to pay your dues though, patience will pay off.
            • 3. Re: Making Money From Java Programming Solo?
              maheshguruswamy
              user8675287 wrote:

Edited by: user8675287 on Sep 27, 2011 11:31 PM
              What troubles are you having in getting a job? No interview calls or interviews going bad? Maybe you should focus on landing a job versus going solo?
              • 4. Re: Making Money From Java Programming Solo?
                experience and not getting past the interviews.
                • 5. Re: Making Money From Java Programming Solo?
                  maheshguruswamy
                  valor wrote:
                  experience and not getting past the interviews.
                  Learn from the past and improvise. Don't get dishearted if you don't make it past a few interviews. Just keep trying. As jverd said, unless you have the next big thing planned, it is pointless to try to go solo. If you think job interviews are tough, just wait till you have to get someone to buy your software or try to pitch a business plan to venture capital companies.
                  • 6. Re: Making Money From Java Programming Solo?
                    dadams07
                    A couple of suggestions:

1. If you've been looking for work only in your local area, consider widening your search. Find out where where the unemployment rate is low. In my city, for example, I know we've had a hard time filling IT positions at a Fortune 500 company. I don't want to go into specifics, but Mr. Google can tell you where the best job markets are.

2. Consider applying for an internship. May not pay well (or at all), but it's a good way to get a foot in the door.
                    • 7. Re: Making Money From Java Programming Solo?
                      splungebob
                      You could always use the The Java Gnomes 3-step Business Plan...
                      • 8. Re: Making Money From Java Programming Solo?
                        rfnel
                        Perhaps you should consider registering on a site like Elance or vWorker. It's probably not going to make you rich, but it will give you an opportunity to earn a few bucks (and get experience while you're at it).