2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2011 11:12 AM by 894855 RSS

Windows 7 64 Bit machine with Instant Client and 32Bit application

Hello everybody,

the last days a tried to get a 32Bit application to run on a Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit machine ... unfortunately with no success. The application runs on XP Pro and Vista Pro 32 Bit machines against a 11g RDBMS for years. As a refenence we use SQLTools from sqltools.net. It has nearly the same behaviour like the application, because it is a 32 bit application too.

First thing was to install a 64 bit environement to verify if the connection is allright.

- Downloaded instantclient-basic-windows.x64-11.2.0.2.0.zip an instantclient-sqlplus-windows.x64-11.2.0.2.0.zip
      - Unpacked both packages into C:\oracle so that they reside in C:\oracle\instantclient_11_2
      - Made a directory C:\oracle\tnsnames with tnsnames.ora in it, because the app uses it
      - Set the environement variables TNS_ADMIN to point to C:\oracle\tnsnames and added C:\oracle\instantclient_11_2 in front of the path variable
      - Restarted the machine
      - Opened a commnd shell and startet sqlplus user/password@sid

Everything was allright, I was able to connect to the database as expected

Second thing was to start SQLTools, but as I feard it quitted with an error message when trying to access oci.dll of the instant client.

So i decided to switch to a 32 bit environement as a third thing.

- Downloaded instantclient-basiclite-nt-11.2.0.2.0.zip and instantclient-sqlplus-nt-11.2.0.2.0.zip
      - Deleted the old C:\oracle\instantclient_11_2
      - Unpacked both 32 bit packages into C:\oracle so that they reside in C:\oracle\instantclient_11_2
      - Didn't change anything in the environement, because nothing changed from the view of the system
      - Opened a commnd shell and startet sqlplus user/password@sid

But now I wasn't able to connect and got the following error
      ORA-28547: connection to server failed, probable Oracle Net admin error

SQLPlus was able to start now, but when trying to connect to the database I got the same error like when connecting with sqlplus.

Does anybopdy have an idea how to manage to get a 32 bit application to run on a Windows 7 64 Bit machine?

Thanks in advance

My packages:
      Windows 7 64 bit SP1
      Oracle Instant Client basic lite 11.2.0.2.0
      SQLPlus 1.5 22D