This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2011 7:54 AM by 796440 RSS

oop - resource spending and design confusion ?

895668 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi guys, sometimes i'm using oop and sometimes procedural style and everytime i use oop i feel like wasting resources on nothing. say i have a situation where i need to grab some values from datasource, a pool of bannerinfo. For the further work i can declare a banner class and decorators for additional functionality, but why would i do such a hard sequence - i got to grab, instantiate objects, fill them, wrap and so on, rather then just: grab data, run procedural code on data; yeah in many times oop just helps to organize logic and make decisions flexible, but on the other hand it's a waste of time on design (i experience a lot of problems solving simple stuff while putting them into oop style) and obviously a waste of machine resources. i'm kinda stuck in that mindset, im young but i've already seen some projects in oop - i wouldn't say that they're easy-understandable; that idead of oop is pretty charming - organising, making logically, but...
So, would you mind to point out some difference between situations when i should use oop/procedural styles. I'll appriciate any links to additional literature on that topic.Thanks!.
  • 1. Re: oop - resource spending and design confusion ?
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    I can only suppose that you haven't had the opportunity to work on a large system that involves tens of developers where multiple systems/apps exist and where multiple people are required to work on the same system.

Imagine if you will that your 'example' required 10 people to finish it on time and so there were 10 people all trying to work on and test a single method at once.
    but on the other hand it's a waste of time on design
    Studies have shown that between application costs are between 100% up to at least 900% incurred during maintenance. So creating the initial application so it is easier to maintain can have a huge cost savings.

I believe other studies have shown that it easier to understand some problems versus large ones. So if the database code is in its own class and the bug that I must fix is a database bug then I don't need to figure out what 10,000 lines of other code is doing. Again this impacts maintenance.

OOP is one technology in the last 50 years that has been an overwhelming success. New 'technologies' come allow all the time (many per year) and almost all fail or have so few real use cases that they can be ignored. But not OOP. Given that vast acceptance of that versus the vast rejection of so many others it would suggest that OOP overall is very useful in the vast majority of cases.
  • 2. Re: oop - resource spending and design confusion ?
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    Also is OOP your first programming paradigm? If not and you are used to a procedural language (C, Basic, etc) then getting to the point where you understand OOP takes time. It took me at least two years to start to grasp it.
  • 3. Re: oop - resource spending and design confusion ?
    898273 Newbie
    Hi,

In my experience, the solutions that seem so quick and easy in the beginning often rapidly become more and more complex as you add new functionality; good OO design and frequent refactoring will keep your application simple and flexible. Taking a little more time to create a more flexible solition will pay off as your application grows.

I do agree that it takes time to learn OO.

For as far as using up machine resources: premature optimizations is the root of all evil ... Or, a bit less harsh: don't worry about performance too much, rather worry about flexibility and readability, and use profiling and stress testing to optimize for performance.
  • 4. Re: oop - resource spending and design confusion ?
    796440 Guru
    892665 wrote:
    it's a waste of time on design (i experience a lot of problems solving simple stuff while putting them into oop style) and obviously a waste of machine resources.
    If you feel it's a waste of your time to do it that way, and you can create software that meets your requirements more quickly and more simply without using OOP, and if you're not working with a team who feel otherwise, then don't use OOP. It was never intended to be a panacea.

As for wasting machine resource, no, it is certainly not "obvious" that this is the case. You definition of "waste" appears to be "using any more than the bare minimum necessary to accomplish the job." And by that definition, anything higher level than assembly is a waste. Computers are cheaper than the programmers that make them work. If it takes more CPU cycles and more RAM to execute a program because of the overhead of whatever higher-level programming constructs were used, but that program is easier for humans to develop, test, debug, maintain, and enhance than it would have been using lower-level constructs, then that's not a waste; it's resources well spent.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points