This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 29, 2011 7:40 AM by Charles Lamb RSS

What are the differences between Oracle and other NoSQL database

896774 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

I would like to know what the differences between Oracle and other NoSQL database are.
When and why should we use Oracle?
Is Oracle NoSQL database link with Big Data Appliance?
Can we use map-reduce on a single personal computer? How should we install Oracle NoSQL database to use map reduce on a single personal computer?
Do we also have eventual consistency with Oracle NoSQL database? Can we lose data if master node fails?
Are transactions ACID with Oracle NoSQL database? How can we prove it?

Thanks.
  • 1. Re: What are the differences between Oracle and other NoSQL database
    Charles Lamb Pro
    Currently Being Moderated
    893771 wrote:
    Hi all,

I would like to know what the differences between Oracle and other NoSQL database are.
    When and why should we use Oracle?
    I suggest that you start here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/nosqldb/overview/index.html
    Is Oracle NoSQL database link with Big Data Appliance?
    Yes, Oracle NoSQL Database will be a component of the Big Data Appliance.
    Can we use map-reduce on a single personal computer? How should we install Oracle NoSQL database to use map reduce on a single personal computer?
    Yes, I believe you can run M/R on a single computer. Consult the various pieces of documentation available on the web. You may run Oracle NoSQL Database on the same computer that you are running M/R on, but it is likely that they will compete for CPU and IO resources and therefore performance may suffer.
    Do we also have eventual consistency with Oracle NoSQL database?
    Yes.
    Can we lose data if master node fails?
    If you run Oracle NoSQL Database with the default (recommended) durability settings, then if the master fails, a new one will be elected and data is not lost.
    Are transactions ACID with Oracle NoSQL database? How can we prove it?
    Yes, each operation is executed in an ACID transaction. The API has the concept of "multi" operations which allow the caller to perform multiple operations on sets of records with the same major key, but different minor keys. Those operations are also performed within a transaction.

Charles Lamb

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points