7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2011 3:23 PM by EdStevens

The server could not be found on the network ORA-12154

Hi All,

I have problem with one application. She run with Oracle DB. I installed Win2008R2 x64 and Oracle DB 32bit on the same server. I tried connect to DB via Oracle SQL Developer and SQL Plus and both run without problem, but when I insert the same parameters into application OpenText Content Server 10, then I see this Error:
      Content Server Error:
      [Error: The server could not be found on the network. ----> Error stack ----> 1) E675414020:The server could not be found on the network.:ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified ]

This application need only 3 parameters (System User Name, password and service name). I compare it with ORA files (listener, sqlnet and tnsnames) and I think that all is right. Here are this three files
      listener:
      LISTENER =
      (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
      (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1521))
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = WIN-R0OEE0OAE5Z)(PORT = 1521))
      )
      )

sqlnet:
      SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)

tnsnames
      ORCL =
      (DESCRIPTION =
      (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)
      )
      )

Do you have any idea where is problem?

Thank you

Vaclav
        • 1. Re: The server could not be found on the network ORA-12154
          Helios-GunesEROL
          Hi;

Similar topic discussed here many times, please use search mechanisim for your issue

ORA-12154

Re: XE and 10.2 databases in one folder
          Re: Unable to Create Starter Database

Regard
          Helios
          • 2. Re: The server could not be found on the network ORA-12154
            Thanks, but I red this topics before I start with writing question. My problem is than I can connect via SQL developer, SQL plus, tnsping work correct, but somethinks is wrong because application don´t work correct. I tried reinstall DB, many changes in ora files (computername, IP address, localhost, 127.0.0.1) and nothing work correct. I can´t understand what is wrong when I used the same parameters in two application and onetime work OK a onetime no.
            • 3. Re: The server could not be found on the network ORA-12154
              sb92075
              893964 wrote:
              Hi All,
              [Error: The server could not be found on the network. ----> Error stack ----> 1) E675414020:The server could not be found on the network.:ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified ]

problem is lookup error on client.
              No packets ever left client.
              could not resolve the "service name" entered
              • 4. Re: The server could not be found on the network ORA-12154
                Do a tnsping from the server you are trying to connect to the database server.
                and show the result of that..

Edited by: Ashlee on Oct 31, 2011 7:31 PM
                • 5. Re: The server could not be found on the network ORA-12154
                  sb92075
                  Ashlee wrote:
                  Do a tnsping from the server you are trying to connect to the database server.
                  and show the result of that..
                  WORTHLESS question!
                  packets never left client so any discussion about DB Server is 100% NOT relevant!
                  • 6. Re: The server could not be found on the network ORA-12154
                    oradba
                    OpenText Content Server 10
                    I don't know this application, but I guess it runs from a different ORACLE_HOME. Set TNS_ADMIN environment variable to <Database_ORACLE_HOME>\network\admin , I hope then tnsnames.ora is found.

Werner
                    • 7. Re: The server could not be found on the network ORA-12154
                      EdStevens
                      893964 wrote:
                      Hi All,

I have problem with one application. She run with Oracle DB. I installed Win2008R2 x64 and Oracle DB 32bit on the same server. I tried connect to DB via Oracle SQL Developer and SQL Plus and both run without problem, but when I insert the same parameters into application OpenText Content Server 10, then I see this Error:
                      Content Server Error:

This application need only 3 parameters (System User Name, password and service name). I compare it with ORA files (listener, sqlnet and tnsnames) and I think that all is right. Here are this three files
                      listener:
                      LISTENER =
                      (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
                      (DESCRIPTION =
                      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1521))
                      )
                      )

sqlnet:
                      SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)

tnsnames
                      ORCL =
                      (DESCRIPTION =
                      (CONNECT_DATA =
                      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                      (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)
                      )
                      )

Thank you

Vaclav
                      You listener has nothing to do with this error. Your request for a connection never left the client machine.

http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/ora-12154tns-03505/