This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2011 3:02 PM by AliD RSS

Applying redo logs to other DB [Doubt]

KeenOnOracle Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Friends,

I would like to ask you guys a question on this scenario.

I have my primary site A in production, running Windows Server and Oracle 10.2.0.1.0. It has Archivelog mode enabled.

I have my backup site B running 11.2.0.2.0 for backups and tests purposes....

Is it possible to take a backup level 0 from site a and apply to site B and then schedule to send the archive logs to site B so that the data could be synchronized from time to time?

Or I would have to have 2 identical versions ?

In this case we do not need to use DataGuard, as we cant afford the license and this synch does not need to be realtime, but schedule based on the archive logs generation.

Were I clear enough?

Thanks a lot friends

Any help would be appreciated.
  • 1. Re: Applying redo logs to other DB [Doubt]
    Pinela Journeyer
    Greetings,

Since you have 2 different DBs with different software levels, I don't think you can do that, or anything similar to that, even after (cat)upgrading the restore from site A on site B.

You could, if all you want is an ocasional refresh, do a backup from site A (easier, with both sites at the same software level), do a duplicate operation and keep recovering site B (through sqlplus) as long as you want to.
    But at the end you need to open the db for querying.

It seems that what you want is a typical Data Guard configuration (without factoring the costs).

Hope this helps.

BR,
    Pinela.
  • 2. Re: Applying redo logs to other DB [Doubt]
    P.Forstmann Guru
    If you want to replicate data between different databases running different Oracle versions you could try to use Streams or GoldenGate (separate product). Streams is using redo data but not like a physical standby database but more like a logical standby database.
  • 3. Re: Applying redo logs to other DB [Doubt]
    KeenOnOracle Explorer
    Ok,

Imagine if I upgrade or downgrade one of the DBs so they stay on the same platform, same oracle release, same patchset, same everything.
    Would be possible to transport the archived redo logs and apply them?

tks
  • 4. Re: Applying redo logs to other DB [Doubt]
    Pinela Journeyer
    Streams is an extremely less cheaper product. Golden Gate I don't know the price.
    And the purpose, I believe, is different from Data Guard.

If you create two similar environments (software level, etc) yes, you can transport the archives 1 time for each "open DB" and apply them.

BR,
    Pinela.
  • 5. Re: Applying redo logs to other DB [Doubt]
    P.Forstmann Guru
    Yes and you can do this:
    - either as manual standby with Oracle Standard Edition One or Oracle Standard Edition (see http://www.databasejournal.com/features/oracle/article.php/3682421/Manual-Standby-Database-under-Oracle-Standard-Edition.htm)
    - or as Data Guard standby with Oracle Entreprise Edition.
  • 6. Re: Applying redo logs to other DB [Doubt]
    897368 Newbie
    You Can't do physical replication ( Arhive log apply ) across different versions , platforms ( with some exceptions )
    In shore the software you have installed (oracle 10g or oracle 11g or oracle 10g for linux or oracle 11g for solaris ) should be same across source and target

For instance on primary if you install binaries oracle 10g for solaris on target also it should be oracle 10g for solaris ( even linux on same version or 11g won't work)

If you want to setup replication across versions , platforms you have to go with logical replication methods like Golden gate ,logical standby , streams,AQ etc..

Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks
    Mark helpful if this reply is helpful
    Mark correct if i answered your questions
  • 7. Re: Applying redo logs to other DB [Doubt]
    897368 Newbie
    Ok,

Imagine if I upgrade or downgrade one of the DBs so they stay on the same platform, same oracle release, same patchset, same everything.
    Even if you downgrade and make versions equal it will not work,because it has to be identical block to block
    So you have to recreate the standby DB using physical backup of primary
  • 8. Re: Applying redo logs to other DB [Doubt]
    AliD Expert
    Ok,
    Yes. Duplicate the database and startup mount. Manually copy the archived logs to target location and manually recover the database.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points