2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2011 11:46 PM by muhammad RSS

removing file system from meta devices in solaris 10

muhammad
      hi,

I have created a file system on meta device in solaris 10 using below command

newfs /dev/md/rdsk/d110

now i want to remove file system to make the meta device free, required command to remove file system ?

Regards
      Zeeshan
        • 1. Re: removing file system from meta devices in solaris 10
          abrante
          Well, if you want to make a new filesystem on the device, you just make a new filesystem.

If not, you probably want to remove the metadevice, which i think you can do with metaclear.

I actually don't understand what you want to do, i have a feeling that you have missunderstood how the metadevices work..

.7/M.
          • 2. Re: removing file system from meta devices in solaris 10
            muhammad
            Thanks for your response , actually i have performed the below steps to release the space from mount point /u05 which i want to make the space as raw device so that i can use it for ASM , so my question is that how can i unformat the file system so that it can be a raw device.

umount /u05

metaclear d110

(Now i have the below two metadevices 500gb each which i want to use as raw device so that i can allocate it to ASM (Automatic Storage management). So how can we make it as raw device ??

/dev/dsk/emcpower17a

/dev/dsk/emcpower17a