10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2011 7:57 AM by 902756 RSS

Problems after upgrade of Solaris 11 Express

Hi all

I had a test workstation running Solaris 11 Express. I upgraded it a few days ago, and since then I am having some problems. The release notes say nothing about them, so here we go.

1) before the upgrade, my WS got an address via DHCP, and registered its name in the DNS. After the upgrade, it doesn't register its name any more; this has unfortunate consequences when, e.g., trying to send an email through a system that does reverse DNS checking.

2) it is impossible to switch network locations, either via GUI or command line. E.g.:
      root@isaiah:~# netadm list
      TYPE PROFILE STATE
      ncp Automatic online
      ncu:phys bge0 online
      ncu:ip bge0 online
      loc Automatic offline
      loc NoNet offline
      loc User online
      root@isaiah:~# netadm enable -p loc Automatic
      Enabling loc 'Automatic'
      root@isaiah:~# netadm list
      TYPE PROFILE STATE
      ncp Automatic online
      ncu:phys bge0 online
      ncu:ip bge0 online
      loc Automatic offline
      loc NoNet offline
      loc User online

3) pf* commands don't work anymore. Despite this worked before and, up to my knowledge, my user has all necessary roles, running (e.g.) pfexec doesn't work anymore, and I had to work around that with sudo. E.g.,
      bronto@isaiah:~$ pfexec svcadm restart svc:/network/smtp:sendmail
      svcadm: svc:/network/smtp:sendmail: Permission denied.
      bronto@isaiah:~$ sudo svcadm restart svc:/network/smtp:sendmail
      bronto@isaiah:~$

I have root in my roles, and all the necessary profiles:
      bronto@isaiah:~$ roles
      root
      bronto@isaiah:~$ profiles
      Primary Administrator
      Console User
      Desktop Removable Media User
      Suspend To RAM
      Suspend To Disk
      Brightness
      CPU Power Management
      Network Autoconf User
      Basic Solaris User
      All

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

Ciao
      -- bronto
        • 1. Re: Problems after upgrade of Solaris 11 Express
          Darren Moffat-Oracle
          The 'Primary Administrator' profile was removed between Solaris 11 Express and Solaris 11.

Assign your user the 'System Administrator' profile instead and give yourself the root role:

# usermod -R +root bronto
          # usermod -P +'System Administrator' bronto
          # usermod -P -'Primary Administrator' bronto
          • 2. Re: Problems after upgrade of Solaris 11 Express
            Hi darrenm

Thanks. That solved 3 (it seems), but 1) and 2) are still there unfortunately.

Oh wait, it seems it is not working, after all

This one does:
            bronto@isaiah:~$ pfexec svcadm restart svc:/network/smtp:sendmail

This one doesn't

bronto@isaiah:~$ pfexec touch /this
            touch: cannot create /this: Permission denied

But this actually does:
            bronto@isaiah:~$ sudo touch /this

Any hints?

Ciao
            -- bronto

Edited by: 897943 on 18-nov-2011 4.55
            • 3. Re: Problems after upgrade of Solaris 11 Express
              Any further advice, pals?

Pointers about where to look are as appreciated as much as solutions.

Thanks a lot
              -- bronto
              • 4. Re: Problems after upgrade of Solaris 11 Express
                Darren Moffat-Oracle
                That is working as expected. The 'System Administrator' profile doesn't give you the ability to run touch with elevated privileges. If you want to do that then use su eg su root -c 'touch /this' or as you did use sudo. I realise this is different to what the old 'Primary Administrator' profile did but what it did was far too much without authentication.

Also you shouldn't need the pfexec in front of svcadm since SMF checks authorisations and the 'System Administrator' that is directly assigned has those authorisations because it includes the 'Service Operator' profile.
                • 5. Re: Problems after upgrade of Solaris 11 Express
                  Thanks, that was helpful.

I'll check the release notes once again. If I find everything I need to know there, I'll mark this question as "answered". In the meanwhile, if there is any document other than the Release Notes that I should be aware of, please let me know.

Thanks a lot

Ciao
                  -- bronto
                  • 6. Re: Problems after upgrade of Solaris 11 Express
                    I checked the Release Notes for Solaris 11 once again, and apparently there is no more information. So, my questions 1) and 2) are still open.

I would like to have a pointer to some documentation that explains how to solve 1) and 2) in Solaris 11, and also something about how the behaviour of pfexec (and other pf* commands) changed.

Does anyone have some?

Thanks in advance

Ciao
                    -- bronto
                    • 7. Re: Problems after upgrade of Solaris 11 Express
                      Darren Moffat-Oracle
                      The behaviour of pfexec has actually not changed (the implementation has but that isn't what you are seeing). What has changed is the profiles that are assigned to the initial user and the fact that we have removed the all (too) powerful 'Primary Administrator' profile. Follow the pointers in the Security section of the Solaris 10 to Solaris 11 transition guide: http://docs.oracle.com/docs/cd/E23824_01/html/E24456/rights-1.html#scrolltoc

For the networking configuration issues again the Solaris 10 to Solaris 11 transition guide is a good starting point: http://docs.oracle.com/docs/cd/E23824_01/html/E24456/network-1.html#scrolltoc specifically for automatic mode this section: http://docs.oracle.com/docs/cd/E23824_01/html/E24456/glncz.html#scrolltoc

For the DHCP and DNS interaction the best reference I can point you to is http://docs.oracle.com/docs/cd/E23824_01/html/821-1453/dhcptm-1.html#scrolltoc which is the DHCP section of the Solaris 11 networking documentation. I don't know if it has the answer to your question or not, if you need more then maybe log a support ticket with Oracle.
                      • 8. Re: Problems after upgrade of Solaris 11 Express
                        I finally solved everything.

Regarding the network profile, you can't switch to the Automatic by hand, as it is a system profile. But it will switch to that if you disable the User profile. To switch to the NoNet profile, well, you unplug the network cable :)

DHCP was a hell. I did a lot of efforts using the documentation you pointed me to, but with no success. Other recipes I found on the internet didn't have more success than that. Two were the main problems:

1) the file /etc/hostname.+interface+ is no more used by dhcpagent, but that you will see only if you start logging the daemon facility at the appropriate level...

2) the automatic network configuration always gets in the way, and doesn't let you do what you want

To be able to properly reconfigure the network and be able to have dynamic dns work with dhcp, I had to reconfigure the system using

sysconfig configure

and select "none" for the network configuration. At that point, I was able to run the ipadm commands for the task:

ip create-ip bge0
                        ipadm create-addr -T dhcp -h isaiah bge0/v4 # configures IPv4 address
                        ipadm create-addr -T addrconf bge0/v6 # configures IPv6

These settings are preserved upon reboot. Plus, the dynamic dns update is now working. So, I'd say this is finally solved.

Ciao
                        -- bronto
                        • 9. Re: Problems after upgrade of Solaris 11 Express
                          Darren Moffat-Oracle
                          You didn't need to unconfigure and configure again, you can transition to using ipadm by setting Manual Mode networking.

This is documented here: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/E24456/gliyc.html

Which says:
                          To manually configure the network by using the dladm and ipadm commands, the DefaultFixed NCP must be active (online) after the
                          installation or upgrade. Use the netadm command to verify which NCP is currently active on your system. See Example 7-1.

If the DefaultFixed NCP is not active, you will need to enable it before you can manually configure the network. See Example 7-2.

Where Example 7-2 is:

$ netadm enable -p ncp DefaultFixed
                          • 10. Re: Problems after upgrade of Solaris 11 Express
                            Darren,

http://docs.oracle.com/docs/cd/E23824_01/html/E24456/rights-1.html#scrolltoc
                            Error page:      
                            We're sorry, the page you requested was not found.
                            We have recorded this error (404) to help us fix the problem.
                            You may wish to try again using one of the tools below.
                                 Back to Previous Page
                                 Site Map
                                 Product Index
                                 Software Download Index
                                 To search for your page, try our Search function.
                                                               Refine Search

RSS | Legal Notices and Terms for Use | Privacy Statement

I've since talked to the docs maintainer, all of your links had an extraneous docs in the path:
                            http://docs.oracle.com/docs/cd/E23824_01/html/E24456/rights-1.html#scrolltoc

should be:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/E24456/rights-1.html#scrolltoc

I think these links should be corrected in the original thread but I was told not to.