This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2013 9:00 AM by User470172-OC RSS

OBIEE 11g - Connection has failed

890463 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I have an OBIEE 11g Client,through which I have opened an RPD.

The connection pool of the RPD tells me that it has imported the data from a system with IP X.X.X.X

The database on this system is up and running. However,when I try to do a "VIEW Data" from my client,I get a "Connection has failed" message. I am not able to update the row count as well.

I have configured a system DSN which is pointing to the IP X.X.X.X

Any inputs please?

Regards,
Akshatha
  • 1. Re: OBIEE 11g - Connection has failed
    user248025 Guru
    Hi,
    http://123obi.com/2011/03/error-the-connection-has-failed-in-obiee-11g/

1.Copy the tnsnames.ora from Oracle Database home (ORACLE_HOMENETWORKADMIN) to the following locations.

* OracleBI1networkadmin (Example: C:OBIOracle_BI1networkadmin)
    * oracle_commonnetworkadmin (Example: C:OBIoracle_commonnetworkadmin)

2.Set the TNS_ADMIN environment variable value with one of the copied locations in the step 1 in user.cmd or http://user.sh file depending on your OS.
    This file will be found under
    instancesinstance1bifoundationOracleBIApplicationcoreapplicationsetup
    (Example : C:OBIinstancesinstance2bifoundationOracleBIApplicationcoreapplicationsetup)

Thanks

Deva

Edited by: Devarasu on Nov 22, 2011 2:45 PM
  • 2. Re: OBIEE 11g - Connection has failed
    890463 Newbie
    Thanks Deva.

But as I have mentioned I have only OBIEE Client installed on my system.

So I donot have the below paths

* \OracleBI1\network\admin (Example: C:\OBI\Oracle_BI1\network\admin)
    * \oracle_common\network\admin (Example: C:\OBI\oracle_common\network\admin)

Please help
  • 3. Re: OBIEE 11g - Connection has failed
    user248025 Guru
    Hi

OBIS' OCI library is different from that of version that Admintool can see.Or The OCI or Oracle home, etc are not set up properly before running Admintool.

In your case, when opening rpd by double-clicking the rpd file (instead of opening via Admin tool), the Oracle Home is not initialized which could be why the database connection fails.

So to fix the behavior, open rpd file using Administration Tool client.

Thanks
    Deva
  • 4. Re: OBIEE 11g - Connection has failed
    user248025 Guru
    Hi,

please check the NQSAdminTool.log and paste it here,

mean while, try the below one..

Refer:

OBI 11g Client Admin Tool Connection To Datasource In Offline Mode Fails With Error "The Connection has failed" [ID 1296370.1]

Thanks

Dev
  • 5. Re: OBIEE 11g - Connection has failed
    890463 Newbie
    Please find the NQSAdminTool.log

[2011-11-22T07:23:57.000+00:00] [OracleBIServerComponent] [NOTIFICATION:1] [] [] [ecid: ] [tid: 1128] [16020] Metadata Database Type: [[
    Data Source Name: x.x.x.x:1521/SID
    Data Source Type: Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Pro
    ]]
    [2011-11-22T08:05:50.000+00:00] [OracleBIServerComponent] [ERROR:1] [] [] [ecid: ] [tid: 1128] [nQSError: 17014] Could not connect to Oracle database. [[
    [nQSError: 17001] Oracle Error code: 12154, message: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
    at OCI call OCIServerAttach.
    ]]

Also I have opened the RPD using the ADMIN tool and I have not double clicked on it.

Thanks,
    Akshatha
  • 6. Re: OBIEE 11g - Connection has failed
    user248025 Guru
    Hi,

Cause

Multiple Oracle Homes exist which can cause confusion to OBI Admin tool for where to reference OCI libraries, NLS and the tnsnames.ora entries.
    So this requires a few additional configuration steps in this case.

Solution

1. For the Admin Tool installed with the complete OBIEE server installation:

1.1. Edit registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\<Oracle_Home> to make sure NLS_LANG key is set to a valid characterset for the Oracle Client used as the DSN.

1.2. Please edit the file %MiddleWare_Home%\instances\instance1\bifoundation\OracleBIApplication\coreapplication\setup\bi-init.cmd to set %ORACLE_HOME%\bin as first entry in the PATH.
    e.g.
    set PATH=%OBIEE_HOME%\bin;%OBIEE_HOME%\bifoundation\server\bin;%OBIEE_HOME%\bifoundation\web\bin;C:\Oracle\BIEE_11g\jre\bin;%windir%;%windir%\system32;%PATH%

1.3. Please edit the file %MiddleWare_Home%\instances\instance1\bifoundation\OracleBIApplication\coreapplication\setup\user.cmd to set TNS_ADMIN to your Oracle client tnsnames.ora home directory path (in case exists) or to your OBIEE tnsadmin %OBIEE_Client_Home%\Oracle_BI1\network\admin.
    e.g.
    set TNS_ADMIN=C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\client_1\network\admin
    OR
    set TNS_ADMIN=C:\Oracle\OracleBIEE11g\Oracle_BI1\network\admin

2. For the Admin Tool installed with the new standalone installer:

2.1. Edit registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\<Oracle_Home> to make sure NLS_LANG key is set to a valid characterset for the Oracle Client used as the DSN.

2.2. Please edit the file %OBIEE_Client_Home%\\oraclebi\orahome\bifoundation\server\bin\bi_init.bat to set %ORACLE_HOME%\bin as first entry in the PATH.

2.3. Please add TNS_ADMIN entry to the bi_init.bat file to point to your Oracle client tnsnames.ora home directory path.
    e.g.
    set TNS_ADMIN=C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\client_1\network\admin

Please note to open the Oracle BI Admin Tool using the start menu shortcut (Start >> Programs >> Oracle Business Intelligence >> Administration Tool) and not by double clicking the RPD file nor through a Custom shortcut as this is required to initialize required environment variables.

While connecting from your standalone BI Admin Tool client in online mode. please note that in this case you will be using the tnsnames.ora file on the BI server, so please make sure your connection pool has the correct entries for your oracle DB and the tnsnames.ora file on the BI server has the corresponding TNS entry.
    Please make your TNS entry is with the same name as the SID. Also TNS_ADMIN environment variable need to be set on the BI server to point to the tnsnames.ora file location.

for more :

https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&doctype=PROBLEM&id=1296370.1

Thanks

Deva
  • 7. Re: OBIEE 11g - Connection has failed
    890463 Newbie
    Thanks a ton Deva. I am able to view the data now

Thanks,
    Akshatha
  • 8. Re: OBIEE 11g - Connection has failed
    User470172-OC Newbie
    I am having the same problem. My environment is Linux 64.
    In the user.sh, i couldnot find a section for Linux 64 bit mode. So how can i modify the file?