2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2011 5:12 AM by 902135 RSS

Connected to idle instance

Hello, could You, please help me with the following problem:
      I have an oracle 11g DB installed on RedHat 5.7 under home directory of oracle user.
      I have another application user (NOT Oracle) on the same server.
      This user is in oinstall and dba groups, *$ORACLE_SID* is defined. When I connect "sqlplus sys/password as sysdba" with this application user, oracle replys: "Connected to idle instance". Same command under oracle user which is an owner of oracle, results correct connection to database.
      The problem is that I need to connect via "sqlplus sys/password as sysdba" to install application which uses oracle, and creates necessary schemas. The most interesting thing is, that I have a similar server with this application. And there, application user is able to connect "sqlplus sys/password as sysdba" to correct instance without any problems. I've compared environments and user setting in these 2 servers and haven't found differences. The only difference is that on test server on which this command works under application user I have installed oracle DB by myself, but on "faulty" server Oracle was installed by different person.
      Could You, please, give me a lead, why this is happening ?
        • 1. Re: Connected to idle instance
          Paul M.
          When I connect "sqlplus sys/password as sysdba" with this application user, oracle replys: "Connected to idle instance".
          Please post the result of
          $ set | grep ORA
          logged in as that user.
          • 2. Re: Connected to idle instance
            Already solved this issue. The problem was due to incorrect set of env variables:
            export ORACLE_BASE=/home/oracle/
            export ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/11G

resulted:
            ORACLE_HOME=/home/oracle//11G
            Linux is capable of retrieving directory content if path is set with *"//"* but seems like oracle does not. Due to this I've got this error. After resetting ORACLE_HOME variable, everything worked.