1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2011 3:45 AM by Avi Miller-Oracle

Cannot install kernel devel form public-yum.oracle.com

I have been trying to install the kernel devel package for OL5.7
      Please review following installing process.

What does it seem the problem? and how could I get it installed?

>
      [root@buoel57 soft]# yum install kernel-devel
      Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
      This system is not registered with ULN.
      ULN support will be disabled.
      http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/Enter ... repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
      Trying other mirror.
      http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/Enter ... repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
      Trying other mirror.
      http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/Oracl ... repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
      Trying other mirror.
      Setting up Install Process
      Resolving Dependencies
      --> Running transaction check
      ---> Package kernel-devel.i686 0:2.6.18-274.el5 set to be installed
      --> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

====================================================================================================================================
      Package Arch Version Repository Size
      ====================================================================================================================================
      Installing:
      kernel-devel i686 2.6.18-274.el5 ol5_u7_base 5.6 M

Transaction Summary
      Install 1 Package(s)
      Upgrade 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 5.6 M
      Is this ok [y/N]: y
      Downloading Packages:
      http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/Oracl ... 5.i686.rpm: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
      Trying other mirror.

Error Downloading Packages:
      kernel-devel-2.6.18-274.el5.i686: failure: getPackage/kernel-devel-2.6.18-274.el5.i686.rpm from ol5_u7_base: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

[root@buoel57 soft]#
      [root@buoel57 soft]#
        • 1. Re: Cannot install kernel devel form public-yum.oracle.com
          Dude!
          I assume you setup access to the Oracle standard software repository using the information from http://public-yum.oracle.com. Are you using any proxy service? The error suggests a problem with IP DNS resolving. Pls check your server DNS configuration, in particular /etc/resolv.conf.
          • 2. Re: Cannot install kernel devel form public-yum.oracle.com
            Dude wrote:
            I assume you setup access to the Oracle standard software repository using the information from http://public-yum.oracle.com. Are you using any proxy service? The error suggests a problem with IP DNS resolving. Pls check your server DNS configuration, in particular /etc/resolv.conf.
            Hello Dude,
            Yes, with your help in another thread I had setup access to the Oracle standard software repository using the information from http://public-yum.oracle.com. And I have installed the oracle-validated by the setup. Now I cannot install the kernel devel on the same system, what does seem the problem?

Just for the test if the setup is still working, i tried to install oracle-validated again:

>
            [root@buoel57 ~]# yum install oracle-validated
            http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/EnterpriseLinux/EL5/addons/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
            Trying other mirror.
            http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/EnterpriseLinux/EL5/oracle_addons/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
            Trying other mirror.
            http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL5/7/base/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
            Trying other mirror.

Package oracle-validated-1.1.0-14.el5.i386 already installed and latest version
            Nothing to do
            >

It tried the 4th mirror, and success, but found I had the oracle-validated installed already.
            This proves there the system can access to http://public-yum.oracle.com and download/install packages.
            • 3. Re: Cannot install kernel devel form public-yum.oracle.com
              Dude!
              You need to check your DNS setup in /etc/resolv.conf? Perhaps one of the servers specified is having trouble or your firewall is not configured accordingly.

You can use the nslookup command to check operation, for instance:
              $ cat /etc/resolv.conf 
              search example.com
              nameserver 10.0.0.1
              nameserver 10.0.0.2

$ nslookup
              server 10.0.0.1
              Default server: 10.0.0.1
              public-yum.oracle.com
              Server:          10.0.0.1
              Address:     10.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
              public-yum.oracle.com     canonical name = bigip-public-yum.oracle.com.
              Name:     bigip-public-yum.oracle.com
              Address: 141.146.44.34
              Non-authoriative answer above means that the name to IP mapping is done externally. If it does not work, problems can also be with your IP provider or network.
              • 4. Re: Cannot install kernel devel form public-yum.oracle.com
                Dude,
                I am not sure I fully understood of yours.
                As my previous post, my system is able to access public-yum.oracle.com, to download and to install the packages fiom there.
                What I have is the virtualization system, Host is WindowsXP3 and the Guest is OL5.7.
                I use AT&T's DSL internet service. On the guest I have been able to setup OL5.7 and installed Oracle-Validated package. And Installed Oracle Database11g.

On the host windows the ipconfig shows:
                >
                Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
                IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.X.X
                Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
                Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter VirtualBox Host-Only Network:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
                Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

>

On the OL guest:
                >
                [root@buoel57 ~]# cat /etc/resolv.conf

has nothing in it.
                >
                But I am sure the OL guest can access public-yum.oracle.com because I have been able to install oracle-validated from there.
                • 5. Re: Cannot install kernel devel form public-yum.oracle.com
                  Dude!
                  If you use DHCP it sounds like your DHCP server is not working properly.

What virtual machine software are you using?
                  Did you change anything about the network adapter?
                  Are you using DHCP or do you have the network interface configured manually?
                  Can you download from public-yum.oracle.com from your Windows host?
                  What is the output of nslookup if you query public-yum.oracle.com without specifying the server ip as previously shown?

Edited by: Dude on Nov 29, 2011 10:45 AM
                  • 6. Re: Cannot install kernel devel form public-yum.oracle.com
                    Thanks. I think the problem may be the network configured as the host-only,
                    I wilol switch it to NAT and try it again.

Edited by: gadba on Nov 29, 2011 2:18 PM
                    • 7. Re: Cannot install kernel devel form public-yum.oracle.com
                      Thanks Dude. I was able to install the kernel-devel kernel-devel.i686 0:2.6.18-274.el5 . Seems it the current version of kernel-devel.

It was the requirement for the OL Guest Additions installation. So I had it installed.

Then I tried to install the Additions again:

>
                      [root@buoel57 VBOXADDITIONS_4.1.6_74713]# sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
                      Verifying archive integrity... All good.
                      Uncompressing VirtualBox 4.1.6 Guest Additions for Linux.........
                      VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
                      Removing installed version 4.1.6 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
                      Removing existing VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules[  OK  ]
                      Removing existing VirtualBox non-DKMS kernel modules[  OK  ]
                      Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules
                      The headers for the current running kernel were not found. If the following
                      module compilation fails then this could be the reason.

The missing package can be probably installed with_
                      yum install kernel-devel-2.6.32-200.13.1.el5uek_

Building the main Guest Additions module[FAILED]
                      (Look at /var/log/vboxadd-install.log to find out what went wrong)
                      Doing non-kernel setup of the Guest Additions[  OK  ]
                      Installing the Window System drivers
                      Installing X.Org 7.1 modules[  OK  ]
                      Setting up the Window System to use the Guest Additions[  OK  ]
                      You may need to restart the hal service and the Window System (or just restart
                      the guest system) to enable the Guest Additions.

Installing graphics libraries and desktop services components[  OK  ]
                      >

Check out the log:

>
                      [root@buoel57 VBOXADDITIONS_4.1.6_74713]# more /var/log/vboxadd-install.log
                      /tmp/vbox.0/Makefile.include.header:94: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<direct
                      ory> and run Make again. Stop.
                      Creating user for the Guest Additions.
                      Creating udev rule for the Guest Additions kernel module.

>

I do not know how to set "KERN_DIR=".

I went to ahead to install:

>

[root@buoel57 VBOXADDITIONS_4.1.6_74713]# yum install kernel-devel-2.6.32-200.13.1.el5uek
                      No package kernel-devel-2.6.32-200.13.1.el5uek available.
                      Nothing to do
                      [root@buoel57 VBOXADDITIONS_4.1.6_74713]#
                      • 8. Re: Cannot install kernel devel form public-yum.oracle.com
                        The last problem has been revolved.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46345&p=209519#p209519
                        • 9. Re: Cannot install kernel devel form public-yum.oracle.com
                          Avi Miller-Oracle
                          gadba wrote:
                          The last problem has been revolved.
                          No, it hasn't -- the Guest Additions will still not work with the UEK (2.6.32) kernel. You need to install kernel-uek-devel to get the required package to build the Guest Additions when the UEK is active. The message presented by VirtualBox is wrong.
                          • 10. Re: Cannot install kernel devel form public-yum.oracle.com
                            Avi Miller-Oracle
                            gadba wrote:
                            This is wrong. You need to run:
                             # yum install kernel-uek-devel 
                            The VirtualBox message is incorrect.
                            • 11. Re: Cannot install kernel devel form public-yum.oracle.com
                              Avi Miller wrote:
                              gadba wrote:
                              This is wrong. You need to run:
                               # yum install kernel-uek-devel 
                              The VirtualBox message is incorrect.
                              Avi,
                              I booted it to uek kernel, and installed kernel-uek-devel.i686 0:2.6.32-200.13.1.el5uek
                              as yum install kernel-uek-devel

>

[root@buoel57 ~]# rpm -aq |grep kernel
                              kernel-devel-2.6.18-274.el5
                              kernel-uek-firmware-2.6.32-200.13.1.el5uek
                              kernel-2.6.18-274.el5
                              kernel-uek-2.6.32-200.13.1.el5uek
                              kernel-uek-devel-2.6.32-200.13.1.el5uek
                              kernel-uek-headers-2.6.32-200.20.1.el5uek

>

then tried to install the Additions

>
                              [root@buoel57 VBOXADDITIONS_4.1.6_74713]# sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
                              Verifying archive integrity... All good.
                              Uncompressing VirtualBox 4.1.6 Guest Additions for Linux.........
                              VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
                              Removing installed version 4.1.6 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
                              Removing existing VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules[  OK  ]
                              Removing existing VirtualBox non-DKMS kernel modules[  OK  ]
                              Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules
                              Building the main Guest Additions module[  OK  ]
                              Building the shared folder support module[  OK  ]
                              *Building the OpenGL support module[FAILED]*
                              (Look at /var/log/vboxadd-install.log to find out what went wrong)
                              Doing non-kernel setup of the Guest Additions[  OK  ]
                              Installing the Window System drivers
                              Installing X.Org 7.1 modules[  OK  ]
                              Setting up the Window System to use the Guest Additions[  OK  ]
                              You may need to restart the hal service and the Window System (or just restart
                              the guest system) to enable the Guest Additions.

Installing graphics libraries and desktop services components[  OK  ]
                              >

found the following errors' msgs in log /var/log/vboxadd-install.log

>
                              drm.o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideodrm.c
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:73:22: error: drm/drmP.h: No such file or directory
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:76: error: array type has incomplete element type
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:77: error: ‘PCI_ANY_ID’ undeclared here (not in a function)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:80: warning: ‘struct drm_device’ declared inside parameter list
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:80: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c: In function ‘vboxvideo_driver_load’:
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:83: error: implicit declaration of function ‘drm_vblank_init’
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c: At top level:
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:89: error: variable ‘driver’ has initializer but incomplete type
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:92: error: unknown field ‘load’ specified in initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:92: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:92: warning: (near initialization for ‘driver’)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:93: error: unknown field ‘reclaim_buffers’ specified in initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:93: error: ‘drm_core_reclaim_buffers’ undeclared here (not in a function)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:93: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:93: warning: (near initialization for ‘driver’)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:96: error: unknown field ‘get_map_ofs’ specified in initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:96: error: ‘drm_core_get_map_ofs’ undeclared here (not in a function)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:96: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:96: warning: (near initialization for ‘driver’)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:97: error: unknown field ‘get_reg_ofs’ specified in initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:97: error: ‘drm_core_get_reg_ofs’ undeclared here (not in a function)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:97: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:97: warning: (near initialization for ‘driver’)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:99: error: unknown field ‘fops’ specified in initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:100: error: extra brace group at end of initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:100: error: (near initialization for ‘driver’)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:102: error: ‘drm_open’ undeclared here (not in a function)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:103: error: ‘drm_release’ undeclared here (not in a function)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:109: error: ‘drm_ioctl’ undeclared here (not in a function)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:111: error: ‘drm_mmap’ undeclared here (not in a function)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:112: error: ‘drm_poll’ undeclared here (not in a function)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:113: error: ‘drm_fasync’ undeclared here (not in a function)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:114: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:114: warning: (near initialization for ‘driver’)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:116: error: unknown field ‘pci_driver’ specified in initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:117: error: extra brace group at end of initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:117: error: (near initialization for ‘driver’)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:120: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:120: warning: (near initialization for ‘driver’)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:122: error: unknown field ‘name’ specified in initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:122: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:122: warning: (near initialization for ‘driver’)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:123: error: unknown field ‘desc’ specified in initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:123: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:123: warning: (near initialization for ‘driver’)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:124: error: unknown field ‘date’ specified in initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:124: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:124: warning: (near initialization for ‘driver’)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:125: error: unknown field ‘major’ specified in initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:125: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:125: warning: (near initialization for ‘driver’)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:126: error: unknown field ‘minor’ specified in initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:126: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:126: warning: (near initialization for ‘driver’)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:127: error: unknown field ‘patchlevel’ specified in initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:127: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:127: warning: (near initialization for ‘driver’)
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c: In function ‘vboxvideo_init’:
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:141: error: implicit declaration of function ‘drm_init’
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c: In function ‘vboxvideo_exit’:
                              /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c:150: error: implicit declaration of function ‘drm_exit’
                              make[2]: *** [tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.o] Error 1
                              make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
                              make: *** [vboxvideo] Error 2
                              Creating user for the Guest Additions.
                              Creating udev rule for the Guest Additions kernel module.
                              [root@buoel57 VBOXADDITIONS_4.1.6_74713]#
                              >

The OpenGL support moudle installing failed.
                              How could you make it work?

Thanks
                              • 12. Re: Cannot install kernel devel form public-yum.oracle.com
                                Avi Miller-Oracle
                                gadba wrote:
                                I've never been able to get the OpenGL module to build properly, so I have no idea. However, I don't use a GUI on my VirtualBox guests and even if I did, I wouldn't need accelerated 3D graphics, so it has never worried me.
                                • 13. Re: Cannot install kernel devel form public-yum.oracle.com
                                  still having the problem.
                                  • 14. Re: Cannot install kernel devel form public-yum.oracle.com
                                    Avi Miller wrote:
                                    gadba wrote:
                                    I've never been able to get the OpenGL module to build properly, so I have no idea. However, I don't use a GUI on my VirtualBox guests and even if I did, I wouldn't need accelerated 3D graphics, so it has never worried me.
                                    Thanks Avi for the help.
                                    Besides the graphics features of OpenGL, what are the others , which are "important", missing?

Edited by: gadba on Nov 29, 2011 6:18 PM
                                    1 2 Previous Next