8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 1:25 PM by cg

quick question using BatchAction

cg
      I'm an FDM newbie, so some of the question I'm asking may seem to be trivial...

Is it possible to trigger an event from BatchAction? I wrote some code in BatchAction and want to trigger specific events (basically I want to mimic the steps I take manually from the web the import, validate, export and check steps)

thanks,
      cg
        • 1. Re: quick question using BatchAction
          TonyScalese
          Download the API guide from here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/performance-management/documentation/index.html

This will give you information on which actions execute during the batchaction event.
          • 2. Re: quick question using BatchAction
            cg
            what page? I've look specifically for that and have not found it in the admin guide
            • 3. Re: quick question using BatchAction
              TonyScalese
              The admin guide and the API guide are 2 different documents.
              • 4. Re: quick question using BatchAction
                cg
                No doubt. Although I just started learning FDM, i've been around long enough to know these 2 docs are different.
                • 5. Re: quick question using BatchAction
                  TonyScalese
                  Forgive me if I sound curt but in your post to which I responded:

what page? I've look specifically for that and have not found it in the admin guide

You stated that you searched the admin guide.

In the API guide, each action is detailed including the subactions that get called when that action executes. It sounds like you have a good amount of experience so I'm confident that when you look through the API guide, you'll find yourself heading down the right track.

Post back with questions if you get stuck.
                  • 6. Re: quick question using BatchAction
                    cg
                    The type of questions I'm asking is not documented in any guides, as it should not be. The api guide states what can be done, not how it can be done. Understanding the 'how' comes with FDM experience, which I do not have, hence my postings.

Sorry, I got sidetrack, so back to my posting:

Currently, a user logs on to FDM via web, clicks on Import from Workflow, selects a file, and once processed, saves that file in Excel. Note that there are custom scripts (expression?) in metadata's Import Format screen which do various things such as format fields, etc. there are a lot them.

I would like to automate this since now, this task will become a daily occurance. I would also like to maintain the existing scripts/expressions used during the workflow->import process, and make use of them instead of recreating the logic when generating a new file. I know I can use the fLoadAndProcessFile from the api call, but how do i incorporate this into the batch script I've written, etc...

All this with using the Batch Loader and not a custom script. Custom script will come later...

I get the big picture, it's the little pictures I'm trying to piece together...
                    thanks.

Edited by: cg on Dec 2, 2011 7:29 AM
                    • 7. Re: quick question using BatchAction
                      My question is are you just wanting to load a file using the batch process as it comes out of the box? If so you do not need to edit the BatchAction event script at all.
                      Just create a batch script using the batch function of work bench
                      Use FDM task manager to run the script create above on a preset interval
                      Place your file into the Inbox\Batches\OpenBatch directroy using the correct file name format
                      FDM will load the file.
                      • 8. Re: quick question using BatchAction
                        cg
                        Thank you Bill for your response.

My question really was more about manually executing the FDM script then let FDM do this automatically. At that time, I wanted to manually initiate the import, export & validate steps, for good reasons. I got my answers.