This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2012 2:28 AM by Penky RSS

Siebel Tablet Compatibility

903739 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Greetings Siebel experts,

At this time, the version of Siebel that we use is version 7.8 and is currently not compatible with any other web browser except for IE 7 and IE8. We are looking to go mobile and my question would be is there any plug in or a way to use Siebel on a tablet and if not, will there be an update to allow this?

Thanks in advance. :)
  • 1. Re: Siebel Tablet Compatibility
    WSiebel Pro
    Hi,

Check if document below provides any insight about your question:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/adf/overview/oracle-mobile-strategy-335359.pdf

Thanks,

Wilson
  • 2. Re: Siebel Tablet Compatibility
    Penky Journeyer
    Hi Wilson

thanks for this valuable document, didn't know of it yet.

Hi user 900736 (how hard is it to type a nickname?)

Additionally, from what I know you have the following possibilities:

* check out Mobile Edge from iEnterprises for Ipad
    * check out ORACLE's Mobile Sales Assistant for Ipad
    * wait for Siebel OpenUI
    * wait for any other ORACLE Mobile solution which might be coming for Android and/or IOS devices (I read something of rich disconnected clients).

at the moment the market is little, but this seems to change (at least I hope).

Benny
  • 3. Re: Siebel Tablet Compatibility
    jiyong Pro
    Well, has anyone tried Standard Interactivity?
    That should work with more browsers, as you don't need ActiveX.
    But you will need a data connection.
  • 4. Re: Siebel Tablet Compatibility
    Penky Journeyer
    correct, but the problem is that anyone you are showing the SI Siebel application on an up-to-date Android or IOS tablet will just laugh at you. It's too far away from today's web technologies and I doubt anyone would ever use it.
  • 5. Re: Siebel Tablet Compatibility
    903739 Newbie
    Thank you for all your input. It appears that either way we go it will cost the company additional money which is something that may not be in the budget right now.

However I did find an interesting app for the iPad/iPhone that I may look test and look into.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobile-edge-for-oracles-siebel/id335861005?mt=8

Mike
  • 6. Re: Siebel Tablet Compatibility
    WSiebel Pro
    Mike,

Another possibility is using Siebel Wireless, check doc ID 475474.1 on support.oracle.com, it indicates siebel wireless has been tested with iphone and android browsers. Below is a link to wireless admin guide for 7.8/7.5:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B31104_02/books/Wireless/WirelessTOC.html

Thank you,

Wilson
  • 7. Re: Siebel Tablet Compatibility
    Penky Journeyer
    yes, Wireless should work, too. But as with the SI client, it just doesn't look sexy :-)

Mike, if you have gained any experience with Mobile Edge I'd be happy to hear your opinion about it.
    Maybe you can keep us up-to-date in the forum...

Thanks

Benny
  • 8. Re: Siebel Tablet Compatibility
    WSiebel Pro
    Ok, last try. I have found a white paper in Doc ID 1090844.1 on support.oracle.com. It describes usage of Siebel REST API to integrate with an iPad. However, from what I have found so far it has been released as a patch for 8.1.1.x., not sure if it is available for 7.8.x. This is something you may want to verify with support or your contact at Oracle.

Hope it helps,

Wilson
  • 9. Re: Siebel Tablet Compatibility
    Penky Journeyer
    Wilson

excellent document, thanks for the link. I wonder why I've never stumbled over it since it was already released a long time ago !!
  • 10. Re: Siebel Tablet Compatibility
    918793 Newbie
    The company I consult for used Siebel SI. SI for 8.1 is actually not bad. I suggest you have a second look if you have only seen the 7.8 version.

That said, I also found that web-based apps just aren't as enticing as native apps. No matter how fast the data connection is, there is always still a lag in repainting the screens. I have tried using iQTouch to spice up Siebel Wireless, but it still wasn't slick enough for me.

A partner and I created a native iPhone app: http://wentari.blogspot.ca/2012/02/ropefree-iphone-app-for-siebel-release.html . You can check out the video and there's a link to the app store.

We did this in our spare time. If there is demand, we may take it further. What makes our approach interesting is that the app does not require any back end integration. I looked at using the REST API but that required setting up a Weblogic instance.

Edited by: user5899600 on Mar 18, 2012 8:41 PM
  • 11. Re: Siebel Tablet Compatibility
    918793 Newbie
    I should mention there is also a free version for those who want to try this out: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/ropefree-crm-lite-for-siebel/id509429658?mt=8
  • 12. Re: Siebel Tablet Compatibility
    Penky Journeyer
    great, thanks for sharing!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points