3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2011 7:23 PM by 903768 RSS

IPMITOOL - change the booting device from disk to network

I am using ipmitool utility to change boot device on Sun T3 machine. Currently DISK is set as boot device for Sun T3 machine. I am running the following ipmitool utility commands to force boot from network. But everytime I power on/off the Sun T3 machine, it always boots from DISK.

The setup I am in is the following:
      I use ipmitool and connect to ilom of sun t3 and perform/monitor the sun t3 host machine.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: IPMITOOL - change the booting device from disk to network
          Nik
          Hi.
          What command ( show full command line) you use for set boot device ?

General, for setting boot device on SPARC platform use Solaris command: eeprom boot-device=net
          Or OBP command: setenv boot-device net

From SP:
          set /HOST/bootmode script="setenv boot-device net"

Regards.

Edited by: Nik on 05.12.2011 22:40
          • 2. Re: IPMITOOL - change the booting device from disk to network
            Thanks.

The host machine is Sparc Sun T3. It is not x86 hardware.
            Ideally I would like to use ipmitool to change the boot device. The commands I am running are the following:

ipmitool -I lanplus -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -U root -P tom chassis bootdev pxe clear-cmos=yes
            ipmitool -I lanplus -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -U root -P tom chassis bootparam set bootflag force_pxe

Both commands run to successful but no effect on changing the boot device.

I tried with obp command and SP command like you mentioned below, both are not change the boot order. Not tired eeprom yet.

ideally i want to write a shell script which when run would connect to ilom of Sun T3 Sparc and run change the boot device.

Regards,

Edited by: 900765 on Dec 6, 2011 2:39 PM
            • 3. Re: IPMITOOL - change the booting device from disk to network
              Hi,

Using obp, I am able to change the boot device to net. The command I used is "setenv boot-device net"
              Now the interesting part it is needed to issue this command for the changes to take effect. Type "reset-all". I could clearly see that the boot order is changed and the system starts booting from the net.

I want to do something like this just using ipmitool. Where I run the command and set the boot device and run a command similar to reset-all?

Secondly using ilom for sp, i still do not have procedure that works. Remmember, it allows to change the boot order but it just don't work.