6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2011 12:03 PM by stevencallan

How to deal with OGG-01733

I'm experiencing OGG-01733 error when performing an initial load.
      It says:
      ERROR OGG-01733 Trail file header file size value 1020788479 for trail file '.../ogg/dirdat/il000000' differs
      from the actual size of the file (1020788695).

How should I resolve this?
        • 1. Re: How to deal with OGG-01733
          stevencallan
          If this were from a running extract, I would guess you are not using a data pump. When the trail was sent to the remote server, you probably had a network gack/hiccup and lost some data. For zero data loss - that's precisely why a secondary extract process (a.k.a., data pump) is recommended.

For an initial load, if you were going straight to the remote server, same thing can happen. How were you doing the initial load? Loading data from file to Replicat?
          • 2. Re: How to deal with OGG-01733
            This happened when running replicat.
            We extracted the data to trail file and on target side performed the initial load.

So you would suggest adding another extract process on source side?
            • 3. Re: How to deal with OGG-01733
              Just to be sure... The extract process creates trail files on a remote server, and then my replicat process uses this local trail files for an inital load.
              • 4. Re: How to deal with OGG-01733
                stevencallan
                Extract is what gets the trail to the target so that Replicat can process it (with the server collector process in front of Replicat, which re-assembles the trail, but we typically do not have to do anything with this component).

There are several approaches for performing initial load:

● Loading data with a database utility - The utility performs the initial load.

● Loading data from file to Replicat - Extract writes records to an extract
                file and Replicat applies them to the target tables. This is the slowest initial-load method.

● Loading data from file to database utility - Extract writes records to
                extract files in external ASCII format. The files are used as data files for input into
                target tables by a bulk load utility. Replicat creates the run and control files.

● Loading data with an Oracle GoldenGate direct load - Extract
                communicates with Replicat directly across TCP/IP without using a Collector process
                or files. Replicat applies the data through the database engine.

● Loading data with a direct bulk load to SQL*Loader - Extract extracts
                records in external ASCII format and delivers them directly to Replicat, which delivers
                them to Oracle’s SQL*Loader bulk-load utility. This is the fastest method of loading
                Oracle data with Oracle GoldenGate.

Given that you said you have a file from extract, that is why I asked you to confirm that you used the "loading data from file to Replicat" method. Did you?

If so, you can start over (for at least that part of the data/load). If you continue to have file errors, try another approach, or fix the underlying network issue.

And besides, you've also picked the slowest method overall. How much data are you trying to load? If it is just a little bit (relatively), why bother with this method? You can do an insert into target tables as select * from source table. Or use Oracle Data Pump.
                • 5. Re: How to deal with OGG-01733
                  Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm using the "loading data from file to Replicat" method, just because I'm new to GoldenGate and this seemed to be the easiest way.
                  I'm trying to load app. 10 million rows from DB2 to Oracle.
                  I'll try this once again and if it won't work I'll consider other methods.
                  By the way, what is the best method in your opinion?
                  • 6. Re: How to deal with OGG-01733
                    stevencallan
                    For that amount of records/volume, I would probably dump the DB2 data into a CSV file and then SQL*Loader the files into the target.

I forget where I saw this, but I think the trade-off point was around 4MB of data. Less than that, GoldenGate technology, more than that, vendor RDBMS route. I'll see if I can find the reference/guideline.