1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 9, 2011 5:20 PM by Shail Goel RSS

Template builder: failed to create template

Hi,

I'm using OVAB 11.1.1.4 and I was trying to create a template for WLS. I have OVAB and WLS installed on the same server and introspected and created the catalog entry successfully. When I tried to create the template I got the following error:

Template builder: creating OEL template for WebLogicServer_10_3
      Template builder: WebLogicServer_10_3 template status: Creating
      Creating template for assembly WebLogicServer_10_3 started.
      Template builder: failed to create template for WebLogicServer_10_3
      Template builder: WebLogicServer_10_3 template status: Creation failed
      Cause: Group 'oracle' does not exist in the base image.

OVAB installs under {home}/oracle/product/11.1.1/....

WLS is installed under {home}/Oracle/Middleware/....

Does anyone have suggestions?

Glen
        • 1. Re: Template builder: failed to create template
          Shail Goel
          Hello Glen,

Per the error message "Cause: Group 'oracle' does not exist in the base image." it appears you do not have correct system base image. The "oracle" OS user in there doesn't either belong to "oracle" group or that's not its primary group.

Refer section "1.4.2.4 System Base Images" in OVAB Install Guide below:
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E22531_01/doc.1111/e18705/prereqs.htm#sthref37
          It says:

The base image must have the user oracle. One example of meeting this requirement is to boot the base image, log on to it as root, and call /usr/sbin/useradd oracle.

Note:
          The primary group for oracle user must be oracle. By default, when you create the oracle user, it is automatically set. To set it manually, create the group and assign it to oracle user by executing:

+/usr/sbin/groupadd oracle+
          +/usr/sbin/usermod -g oracle -a -G oracle oracle+

Refer to your modifyjeos documentation for instructions on creating a base image.

Check your base image to make sure "oracle" user is correctly set and then try template creation again. Hopefully that will take care of the issue.

Thanks
          Shail