1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 22, 2011 10:10 AM by Mgerdts-Oracle RSS

Migration from physical server to zone (solaris 10)

user345184
      Hello all,

I found an old thread about the subject Migrate Solaris 10 Physical Server to Solaris 10 Zone but i have a question.

Using the flarcreare command, will add to the flar archive all the zpools i have in the server?. Right now we have 14 zpools.

If i execute this command "flarcreate -n "Migration File" > -S -R / -x /flash /flash/Migration_File-`date '+%m-%d-%y'`.flar" will take all the zpools?

This is for migrating from a E25k Server to a M9k Server

The E25k (Physical Server) have this release "Solaris 10 10/08 s10s_u6wos_07b SPARC" and the zone server (M9k) have this release "Oracle Solaris 10 8/11 s10s_u10wos_17b SPARC" this could be an issue?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by: 875571 on Dec 9, 2011 7:38 AM
        • 1. Re: Migration from physical server to zone (solaris 10)
          Mgerdts-Oracle
          flarcreate will only include data from the root pool (typically called rpool). The odds are that this is what you actually want.

Presumably, on a 25k you would have one pool for storing the OS and perhaps home directories, etc. This is probably from some sort of a disk tray. The other pools are likely SAN-attached and are probably quite large (terabytes, perhaps). It is quite likely that instead of creating a multi-terabyte archive, you would instead want an archive of the root pool (10's to 100's of megabytes) and would use SAN features to make the other pools visible to the M9000.

One thing that you need to do that probably isn't obvious from the documentation is that you will need to add dataset resources to the solaris10 zone's configuration to make the other zpools visible in the solaris10 zone. Assuming that these other pools are on a SAN, the zpools are no longer imported on the 25k, and the SAN is configured to allow the M9000 to access the LUNs, you will do something like the following for each zpool:
          # zpool import -N -o zoned=on +poolname+
          # zonecfg -z +zonename+ "add dataset; set name=+poolname+; end"
          In the event that you really do need to copy all of the zpools to the M9000, you can do that as well. However, I would recommend doing that using a procedure like the one described at http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/821-1448/gbchx.html#gbinz. (zfs send and zfs recv can be used to send incremental streams as well. Thus, you could do the majority of the transfer ahead of time, then do an incremental transfer when you are in your cut-over window.)

If you are going the zfs send | zfs recv route and you want to consolidate the zpools into a single zpool, you can do so, then use dataset aliasing to make the zone still see the data that exists in multiple pools as though nothing changed. See http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/821-1448/gayov.html#gbbst and http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/821-1460/z.admin.task-11.html#z.admin.task-12.