5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2012 7:40 PM by Udo

Updating hostname in apex-config.xml?

We are using Oracle Application Express Listener for requests between a Web browser and the Oracle Application Express engine.
      Softwares installed on the web server (Windows 2008) are:
      • TomCat v 6.0
      • Java
      • Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
      • Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM

We are moving our Database to a new server which means that the hostname which is configured in the Listener needs to be updated.
      The SID would remain same, the password for account APEX_PUBLIC_USER might change. Basic connection type is being used for DB configuration.

Do I need to update the apex-config.xml (apex.db.hostname) for this change and then to restart tomcat? Would this be the only change required in my web server? If not, then what all changes would be required?

I read in some documentation that APEX Listener configuration can be updated except for the Database Connection: Username, Password, Connection information and JDBC Driver Type.

I am new to APEX. Please guide how to carry out this change.
        • 1. Re: Updating hostname in apex-config.xml?
          Udo
          Hi,
          We are moving our Database to a new server which means that the hostname which is configured in the Listener needs to be updated.
          The SID would remain same, the password for account APEX_PUBLIC_USER might change. Basic connection type is being used for DB configuration.
          Do I need to update the apex-config.xml (apex.db.hostname)
          Yes, that's the point to configure the new database hostname.
          You can change the password for the APEX_PUBLIC_USER there as well. Note that it's "encrypted" there by default. You can change it by entering the plaintext password as follows
          <entry key="apex.db.password">!newpassword</entry>
          It will be encrypted again upon the first start of your APEX Listener after you've changed that value.
          Would this be the only change required in my web server?
          If you didn't move the web server as well and you don't have any firewall rules or proxy rules to adjust, this would be all.

-Udo
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Updating hostname in apex-config.xml?
            Thanks!

1. Does that mean that I just need to stop the APEX listener, make changes in apex-config.xml file and restart the APEX listener? Would that be enough?
            2. What about the other option - delete the configuration file, restart the tomcat and redo the entire configuration process?

The 1st option looks simple to me, since I am new to APEX. I can't myself try these changes and need to guide another person to perform these changes, so I want to be sure that the steps are correct.

What are the cases where one should prefer 2nd option? Any disadvantages of the 1st option?
            Sorry for asking too many questions.
            • 3. Re: Updating hostname in apex-config.xml?
              Udo
              1. Does that mean that I just need to stop the APEX listener, make changes in apex-config.xml file and restart the APEX listener? Would that be enough?
              Yes.
              2. What about the other option - delete the configuration file, restart the tomcat and redo the entire configuration process?
              This will work as well, though it seems to be a little more effort.
              What are the cases where one should prefer 2nd option? Any disadvantages of the 1st option?
              I'd recommend to restart with a fresh configuration upon some major change in the APEX Listener to make sure I didn't miss some new parameter or change in default settings.
              The first option is fast and if the last time you've reviewed your configuration wasn't ago too long, it's probably the best way, since you reduce the probability of incorporating errors by doing something differently than before. On the other hand, you might want to take the chance to actually make a review or see if any default has changed, and perhaps look into the release notes and documentation to decide if that's okay for you. Stuff like that.
              Sorry for asking too many questions.
              No big deal, really.

-Udo
              • 4. Re: Updating hostname in apex-config.xml?
                Thanks Udo for the help!
                Can you also tell me how to stop and start Apex listener on Tomcat?
                • 5. Re: Updating hostname in apex-config.xml?
                  Udo
                  I'm glad to hear it worked for you.

APEX Listener is deployed and behaves exactly like any other application you run on your Tomcat, which means you can use the Tomcat Manager to start/stop it. See the [url http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/manager-howto.html#Start_an_Existing_Application]Manager App HOW-TO for details.

-Udo