0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 10:30 PM by 901652

ODBC and SQLORA32.dll

I've installed Oracle Client 11gR2 (win64_11gR2_client.zip), with "Runtime" installation type, on Windows 7 64-bit. I've also installed ODP.NET. I'd like to connect to a remote Oracle Database via ODBC. I'm trying to do this from an application which uses the built-in .NET Framework Data Provider for ODBC.

I noticed something weird about the Oracle installation: in my "ODBC Data Source" dialog, there's a driver entry named "Oracle in OraClient11g_home1" with the driver file referenced being located at %ORACLE_HOME%\SQLORA32.dll. But, that file doesn't exist. In fact, there's no SQLORA32.dll in my entire computer, or in any of the Oracle zip files I downloaded!

When I try to use "Driver={Oracle in OraClient11g_home1}" in my connection string, it says "System.Data.Odbc.OdbcException (0x80131937): ERROR [IM003] Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 126: The specified module could not be found. (Oracle in OraClient11g_home1, C:\app\Jay\product\11.2.0\client_1\SQLORA32.dll)."

Two questions:
      Why does Oracle install an ODBC data source referencing SQLORA32.dll if SQLORA32.dll doesn't exist?!?!? Has anyone else seen this?
      Is it possible to use the .NET Data Provider for ODBC (or OLE DB) to connect to a remote oracle database? Or does the application need to know about Oracle Data Provider (ODP.NET)?

Edited by: notfed on Dec 13, 2011 2:30 PM