1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2011 3:04 PM by Martin Brambley Go to original post
      • 15. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
        Martin Brambley
        Avi,

this is not production when it is it will be EE
        i just want it to work and i have had a fair amount of trouble with it

i want to reinstall the manager as you say but...

i had installed 301 and upgraded to 302 - i assume i follow that path again?
        • 16. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
          Avi Miller-Oracle
          Martin Brambley wrote:
          i had installed 301 and upgraded to 302 - i assume i follow that path again?
          Just install 3.0.2 directly (if you have the installer). If you don't, you can install 3.0.1 and immediately upgrade. I'd recommend a fresh install of 3.0.2 though.
          • 17. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
            florin cercelaru
            Hi,

do not worry .. I reinstalled VM manager 3 times with same UUID with no problems .. and now reinstall for the 4th of time
            • 18. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
              Martin Brambley
              ok i have now reinstalled the manager - but its empty how do i get it to have all the goodness back?
              i assumed that uuid would handle that
              • 19. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                Avi Miller-Oracle
                Martin Brambley wrote:
                ok i have now reinstalled the manager - but its empty how do i get it to have all the goodness back?
                1. Discover your server via the "Add Server" dialog (rediscovers the pool)
                2. Recreate your File Server and/or Storage Array and Refresh (recreates the repositories)
                3. Present the storage to the sever and refresh the repository (rediscovers all the VMs/templates/etc)
                4. Rediscover the server via right-click context menu and chosing the "Rediscover Server" item (moves the VMs back into place)
                • 20. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                  Martin Brambley
                  Morning Avi - as the SR has now said just follow your instructions i guess i'll stay here for a while

1. Discover your server via the "Add Server" dialog (rediscovers the pool)

cannot find this add server dialog anywhere
                  i try :
                  hardware tab > actions > discover servers > enter the vmserver ip and it says:
                  OVMAPI_4010E Attempt to send command: discover_server to server: 10.90.60.11 failed. OVMAPI_4004E Server Failed

bear in mind the manager is totally plank i do not even have a pool

2. Recreate your File Server and/or Storage Array and Refresh (recreates the repositories)
                  3. Present the storage to the sever and refresh the repository (rediscovers all the VMs/templates/etc)
                  4. Rediscover the server (moves the VMs back into place)
                  • 21. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                    Avi Miller-Oracle
                    Martin Brambley wrote:
                    hardware tab > actions > discover servers > enter the vmserver ip and it says:
                    OVMAPI_4010E Attempt to send command: discover_server to server: 10.90.60.11 failed. OVMAPI_4004E Server Failed
                    Can you check /var/log/ovs-agent.log on the server to see why it's failing discovery? Given that there are no existing objects in the database, it should've triggered a completely new discovery of all objects.
                    bear in mind the manager is totally plank i do not even have a pool
                    Correct. The Manager is currently empty. When it discovers the server, it'll rebuild the pool and all the networking configuration from the running setup on the server.
                    • 22. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                      Martin Brambley
                      full of this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
                      File "/opt/ovs-agent-3.0/OVSAgentServer.py", line 103, in do_POST
                      auth(username, password)
                      File "/opt/ovs-agent-3.0/OVSAgentServer.py", line 42, in auth
                      raise Exception('Authorization failed: user does not exist or password error.')
                      Exception: Authorization failed: user does not exist or password error.
                      [2011-12-16 10:50:33 24476] INFO (OVSAgentServer:169) code 403, message Unauthorized access attempt from ('10.90.60.20', 41050)!
                      [2011-12-16 10:50:41 12590] ERROR (OVSNotificationProxy:42) Unable to send notification: (111, 'Connection refused')
                      [2011-12-16 10:50:43 24511] ERROR (OVSAgentServer:108) Unauthorized access attempt from ('10.90.60.20', 26328)!
                      Traceback (most recent call last):
                      File "/opt/ovs-agent-3.0/OVSAgentServer.py", line 103, in do_POST
                      auth(username, password)
                      File "/opt/ovs-agent-3.0/OVSAgentServer.py", line 42, in auth
                      Exception: Authorization failed: user does not exist or password error.
                      [2011-12-16 10:50:43 24511] INFO (OVSAgentServer:169) code 403, message Unauthorized access attempt from ('10.90.60.20', 26328)!
                      [2011-12-16 10:51:01 12590] ERROR (OVSNotificationProxy:42) Unable to send notification: (111, 'Connection refused')
                      [2011-12-16 10:51:22 12590] ERROR (OVSNotificationProxy:42) Unable to send notification: (111, 'Connection refused')
                      [2011-12-16 10:51:42 12590] ERROR (OVSNotificationProxy:42) Unable to send notification: (111, 'Connection refused')
                      [2011-12-16 10:52:02 12590] ERROR (OVSNotificationProxy:42) Unable to send notification: (111, 'Connection refused')
                      • 23. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                        Avi Miller-Oracle
                        Martin Brambley wrote:
                        I suspect you're providing the wrong Oracle VM agent password in the discovery dialog box. You can change the agent password like so:
                         # ovs-agent-passwd oracle <new password> 
                        This is on the Oracle VM Server machine.
                        • 24. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                          Martin Brambley
                          s*** i thought i gave it the same password as the manager

so sorry let me change it
                          • 25. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                            Avi Miller-Oracle
                            Martin Brambley wrote:
                            s*** i thought i gave it the same password as the manager
                            BTW, check your email -- I've sent you some emails. It may be more efficient if we move this to a web conference or IM.
                            • 26. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                              Martin Brambley
                              thanks thats done
                              now i can see the server

what are the steps here? all my luns from the iSCSI are visible but are under "unmanaged iscsi storage arrray" now

4. Rediscover the server (moves the VMs back into place)
                              • 27. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                                Avi Miller-Oracle
                                Martin Brambley wrote:
                                what are the steps here? all my luns from the iSCSI are visible but are under "unmanaged iscsi storage arrray" now
                                Recreate the iSCSI Storage Array as you did originally. Once you've recreated the array and added the server into the default access group, refresh the array. All the LUNs should then move back under the array. You should also notice that the repository has reappeared, either already or after you refresh the array. Once it reappears, you'll be able to re-present it to the server (don't worry if it's already mounted - this is just so that Manager notices). Once that's done, you can refresh the repository and all your VMs and templates will reappear. When they do, you can right-click the server and "Rediscover" and the currently running status of each VM will be imported.
                                • 28. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                                  Martin Brambley
                                  im not finding this very intuitive

>>>
                                  Recreate the iSCSI Storage Array as you did originally. Once you've recreated the array and added the server into the default access group, refresh the array. All the LUNs should then move back under the array. You should also notice that the repository has reappeared, either already or after you refresh the array. Once it reappears, you'll be able to re-present it to the server (don't worry if it's already mounted - this is just so that Manager notices). Once that's done, you can refresh the repository and all your VMs and templates will reappear. When they do, you can right-click the server and "Rediscover" and the currently running status of each VM will be imported.
                                  <<<

ive recreated the array and the server and iqn is listed under its admin group - the luns are visible under the named array AND 'unmanaged' but i guess this doesnt matter - repository reappeared? where would i notice this - the server still shows nothing assigned to it or in the unnassigned machines folder

thanks in advance and sorry if im missing something
                                  • 29. Re: is it safe to re-install vm server - need help all envs down
                                    Avi Miller-Oracle
                                    Martin Brambley wrote:
                                    ive recreated the array and the server and iqn is listed under its admin group - the luns are visible under the named array AND 'unmanaged' but i guess this doesnt matter - repository reappeared? where would i notice this - the server still shows nothing assigned to it or in the unnassigned machines folder
                                    It'll disappear from Unmanaged eventually. Wouldn't worry about it. You should now see the repository listed if you go back to the Home tab, click "Server Pools" -> Repositories -- i.e. where you would normally expect to see it. :)

You can then click the "Present" icon and present the repository to your server, just like you did originally. This is just a management action, as the repository is probably already mounted on the actual server. Once it's presented, you can click "Refresh" and all the VMs and such will be repopulated in the Manager -- they'll all appear in the Unassigned folder to start with. Once the VMs reappear and the job completes, right-click and "Rediscover Server" and the VMs will all move back into their proper running position.