This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2012 7:44 AM by DarrenMoffat RSS

ZFS AES-NI Acceleration

905773 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I see Solaris x86 has already gained AES-NI support, but not for ZFS as of yet (11.11.11). Can anyone shed some insight on if this is being worked on, and when it may be released. ZFS AES performance is very poor currently without it.

Thank you
  • 1. Re: ZFS AES-NI Acceleration
    DarrenMoffat Explorer
    ZFS encryption does use AES-NI and all the posts on various other forums claiming it doesn't are wrong.

ZFS just calls in to the Kernel Cryptographic Framework and it will use AES-NI if the CPU reports it is available.

If you have evidence that it isn't working please provided it because there could be a bug in here but I doubt it.

The only possible thing I can think of is that someone were testing on Solaris 11 Express (not GA) but using 32 bit
    kernel (which no longer exists in Solaris 11 GA) in that case AES-NI wouldn't have been available.

BTW I would have seen this post months ago if it had been in the Solaris 11 section rather than the developer section,
    so sorry for the massive delay in responding.

Darren
  • 2. Re: ZFS AES-NI Acceleration
    DarrenMoffat Explorer
    It recently came to my attention that apparently there are/were some systems from vendors (not from Sun/Oracle) that had
    AES-NI capable processors in them but the AES-NI support was disabled in the BIOS and had to be explicitly enabled.

If your Solaris instance reports 'aes' in the output of isainfo -v then Solaris will use the AES-NI support via the Cryptographic Framework
    for ZFS and others. For example:

$ isainfo -v
    64-bit amd64 applications
    pclmulqdq aes sse4.2 sse4.1 ssse3 popcnt tscp ahf cx16 sse3 sse2 sse
    fxsr mmx cmov amd_sysc cx8 tsc fpu
    32-bit i386 applications
    pclmulqdq aes sse4.2 sse4.1 ssse3 popcnt tscp ahf cx16 sse3 sse2 sse
    fxsr mmx cmov sep cx8 tsc fpu

Edited by: darrenm on 28-Jun-2012 07:43

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points