This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2012 5:36 PM by 823590 RSS

Windows 7: ssvagent.exe prompt constantly with IE...

906259 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, all! Just installed latest JRE (1.7.0_02-b13) and I'm getting constant prompts to run ssvagent.exe, whether admin or restricted use users. Any way to fix/prevent this? And no, logging in every user possible and shutting off the plug-in in IE is not an option.

Other threads going back quite a while report this as a bug: any resolution? This hasn't happened before in recent history, and has only started for me on the latest build installation.

Thanks.
SteveB
  • 1. Re: Windows 7: ssvagent.exe prompt constantly with IE...
    817264 Journeyer
    This sounds like a bug.
    ssvagent is run when java detects registry is not correct and then ssvagent tries to recover it.

Did you ever allow it to run? If so then it sounds it was not successful trying to correct the registry and tries to correct it again.

It will help if you could collect more data on this. Here are the steps:
    1. Download Process Monitor from sysinternals.com
    2. Start it. Open filter editor and add few rules
    a) Process Name/contains/iexplore/Include
    b) Process Name/contains/ssv/Include
    c) Process Name/contains/java/Include
    3. Run IE to reproduce the problem
    4. Save PML file, zip it and upload somewhere.
    5. Post link here
  • 2. Re: Windows 7: ssvagent.exe prompt constantly with IE...
    908241 Newbie
    I also am having the same issue with JRE (1.7.0_02-b13). It happens for all users that log into the machine. The only way I know to fix it is to disable the add on in IE for each user and this would not be pleasant! Please help!
  • 3. Re: Windows 7: ssvagent.exe prompt constantly with IE...
    908691 Newbie
    Same problem. In fact IE prompted 3 times just to arrive at the page to post a reply. Another reason to hate IE.
  • 4. Re: Windows 7: ssvagent.exe prompt constantly with IE...
    user623630 Newbie
    I'm having the same problem with Java 6 update 30. I don't have any problems with Java 6 update 29 and earlier, but on update 30, ssvagent wants to run when I first start it and if I give it permission, then the next time I start IE Java won't load at all unless I disable UAC (User Account Control) or start IE with "Run as administrator".
  • 5. Re: Windows 7: ssvagent.exe prompt constantly with IE...
    909323 Newbie
    I had the same problem because I had two versions of the JRE running (6.30 and 7). When I uninstalled the eldest and restarted IE, the ssvagent error disappeared. This is what I did exactly:

- I disabled the SSVHELPER add-on in IE
    - I closed IE
    - I uninstalled JRE 6.30 with add/remove programs
    - I reran IE
    - IE prompted me that SSVHELPER was ready for use
    - No pop-up window appeared anymore

I hope this can help you ;-)
  • 6. Re: Windows 7: ssvagent.exe prompt constantly with IE...
    909977 Newbie
    my friend had this problem also, please try this :
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/ssvagentexe-appears-each-time-we-try-to-log-on/ba4a4f43-efa1-45c6-8925-875f648ad506
    http://www.spywareremovalhelp.org/spyware-removal-help/what-is-ssvagent-exehow-to-remove-the-ssvagent-exe-virus.html
  • 7. Re: Windows 7: ssvagent.exe prompt constantly with IE...
    910300 Newbie
    If you are in an Active Directory domain, you can establish a group policy to not load certain add-ons (Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Security Features/Add-on Management), add the GUIDs of the unwanted Add-Ons to te Add-On list and set the numeric value in the second column to 0.
    This would disable the Add-ons.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
  • 8. Re: Windows 7: ssvagent.exe prompt constantly with IE...
    908241 Newbie
    This process only works for the logged in user. It does not work for all new/current user accounts on the computer
    - I disabled the SSVHELPER add-on in IE
    - I closed IE
    - I uninstalled JRE 6.30 with add/remove programs
    - I reran IE
    - IE prompted me that SSVHELPER was ready for use
    - No pop-up window appeared anymor

I will give the GPO approach a try!
  • 9. Re: Windows 7: ssvagent.exe prompt constantly with IE...
    913830 Newbie
    I have over 200 PCs that are having this constant UAE prompting for Oracle's ssvagent to run. These are all windows 7 machines with java 7 update 20.
    I need a command line solution, not a one off (one pc manual solution.

We do have a system management solution to execute procedures for all machines. (Kaseya, Not AD).
    These machines also have java6 update 30. (in addition to java7)

I am having trouble:
    - does msiexec work to silently un-install java6; java7. If so what is the syntax.
    - I have a Kaseya module that will install and keep updated java6 and java7
    - Is this a SSVhelper add-in issue for IE9

Thanks in advance for the insight.
  • 10. Re: Windows 7: ssvagent.exe prompt constantly with IE...
    RogerL (Oracle) Java Champion
    Hello,

The ssvagent.exe prompting issue is being tracked under bug #7092290. This bug has been fixed in 7u4 build 9. This build was recently released to the JDK 7 early access site: http://jdk7.java.net/download.html Any build higher then 9 will also have this fix... unless of course a problem is found that the fix. Builds go through significant testing, but there is always the case that a configuration in the 'wild' could find a new or unique behavior... related to any fix.

JDK 7 Early Access: http://jdk7.java.net/download.html
    Bug URL: http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7092290
    Synopsis      Opening Internet Explorer 8 blocked by UAC dialog for ssvagent.exe
    Category      java_deployment:general
    Reported Against      b08
    Release Fixed      8(b23), 7u4(b09) (Bug ID:2220321)
    State      10-Fix Delivered, bug
    Priority:      1-Very High

Please download b09+ to determine if this indeed does fix the prompting issue that you are seeing.

Thanks,
    Roger

PS.
    You view our release notices with or have email sent, it is low volume.
    Both Early Access and FCS: http://blogs.oracle.com/javase/
    Early Access only: http://blogs.oracle.com/javase/category/Oracle/Early+Access
    FCS only: http://blogs.oracle.com/javase/category/Oracle/FCS+Release
  • 11. Re: Windows 7: ssvagent.exe prompt constantly with IE...
    893179 Newbie
    This bug should be addressed via the fix for 7092290 in the upcoming 7u4 release.
    As a workaround, you can set the following registry keys on the machine.
    Just save the following in a .reg file and then run it on the machine.
    Note: the path in the InprocServer32 reg key is pointing to the default install location of 7u2 (or 7 and its update releases in general). If 7u2 is installed in a different location, you'll need to adjust the path accordingly. There should be 2 backslashes (\) after "C:" and after "bin" - somehow it doesn't show in the form correctly.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0030-ABCDEFFEDCBA}]
    @="Java Plug-in 1.6.0_30"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0030-ABCDEFFEDCBA}\InprocServer32]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre7\\bin\\jp2iexp.dll"
    "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0030-ABCDEFFEDCBB}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0030-ABCDEFFEDCBB}\InprocServer32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0030-ABCDEFFEDCBC}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0030-ABCDEFFEDCBC}\InprocServer32]

Edited by: calvinc on Feb 1, 2012 4:57 PM
  • 12. Re: Windows 7: ssvagent.exe prompt constantly with IE...
    918045 Newbie
    I've tried to use this registry script, but the indicated CLSID doesn't exist.

We're running the 32-bit version of Java in a 64-bit version of Windows 7.

EDIT: I did find that this script is for release 30, and we're running release 31 right now.
    Also, I tried to edit the script for 64-bit, but I haven't had any luck getting it to work just yet. Anyone with any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0031-ABCDEFFEDCBA}]
    @="Java Plug-in 1.6.0_31"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0031-ABCDEFFEDCBA}\InprocServer32]
    @="C:
    Progra~2\\Java\\jre7\\bin
    jp2iexp.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0031-ABCDEFFEDCBB}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0031-ABCDEFFEDCBB}\InprocServer32]
    @="C:
    jp2iexp.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0031-ABCDEFFEDCBC}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0031-ABCDEFFEDCBC}\InprocServer32]
    @="C:
    jp2iexp.dll"

Edited by: 915042 on Feb 16, 2012 10:32 AM
  • 13. Re: Windows 7: ssvagent.exe prompt constantly with IE...
    918136 Newbie
    user623630 wrote:
    I'm having the same problem with Java 6 update 30. I don't have any problems with Java 6 update 29 and earlier, but on update 30, ssvagent wants to run when I first start it and if I give it permission, then the next time I start IE Java won't load at all unless I disable UAC (User Account Control) or start IE with "Run as administrator".
    The exact same problem occurs with 6u31 (x86)... anybody hear of an ETR for this?

Various laptop/desktop models
    Windows 7 w/ SP1
    Fully patched with MS patches up to January 2012 updates
    x86
    IE8

Edited by: user13113262 on Feb 16, 2012 5:17 PM
    details added about the systems experiencing the problem
  • 14. Re: Windows 7: ssvagent.exe prompt constantly with IE...
    893179 Newbie
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0031-ABCDEFFEDCBA}]

I think the "Wow6432Node" should follow the "SOFTWARE", not "Classes".

So the above reg. key should be:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0031-ABCDEFFEDCBA}]
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points