6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2011 10:46 AM by jgarry RSS

Auto refresh of forums page

CKPT
      Hi,

Lets suppose, in Forum home --> database: General

To get latest threads to update in page, we have to click either refresh or database general button, Instead of that can we enable auto refresh for each 2/5 minutes instead of doing it manually.

Or by enabling this any impact in other ways?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Auto refresh of forums page
          Christian Erlinger
          I am not sure if this is a good idea as it most certainly would generate a truckload of unnecessary requests. Very often I have the forum open in a tab without knowing or caring about it in the background. Very often I have more then one instance of the forum open. I guess I am not the only one with this habit. Given the forum stability lately I am not sure if penetrating it with more requests is the right thing to do ;). Anyway; if you are using firefox there is a plugin doing a page refresh every n seconds/minutes: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/reloadevery/

cheers
          • 2. Re: Auto refresh of forums page
            CKPT
            If i used that plugin, It will applies for all pages.
            Then my sessions will be refreshed.

Lets suppose you are writing email/ writing post, if refreshed again it will be cleared.. its big damage again ;-) what do you say.
            • 3. Re: Auto refresh of forums page
              Christian Erlinger
              You could deactivate it for all pages and activate it just for one tab. You'd need to deactivate it when posting though. If everything else fails you could of course build something similar to a Drinking Bird continuously hitting F5 on your keyboard. You would probably need to solve the problem with the water on your keyboard, but this would be a cross-page cross-platform cross-browser cross-application (works e.g. for Nautilus too) solution, and if you want to turn it off for the active application you'd simply put the Drinking Bird away :p.

cheers
              • 4. Re: Auto refresh of forums page
                BluShadow
                Not only is it a bad idea, but the Jive software currently used by the forums is unsupported, so 'new features' are not something likely to be implemented by Oracle.
                • 5. Re: Auto refresh of forums page
                  CKPT
                  Not only is it a bad idea, but the Jive software currently used by the forums is unsupported, so 'new features' are not something likely to be implemented by Oracle.
                  uff i dont know that its Bad Idea. Jive software?

Thats why checking. Cool :)
                  • 6. Re: Auto refresh of forums page
                    jgarry
                    I would hope that whatever mysterious thing will be replacing jive will have this as a configurable option. But then again, the "last refreshed" on MOS seems goofy. The server ought to know when it has new info, and it seems simple in concept to know when a client has last refreshed a thread list. But those darned details always getcha.