4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2011 1:16 AM by Helios-GunesEROL RSS

Oracle 9i client on windows 7

Hello, I have searched several forums (including this one) for help with this problem but i havnt found anything.

Basically we have been using oracle 9i client on winXP for quite some time now and are going to upgrade to windows 7 64 bit, this is in a production environment. I install the client using the installation wizard (or oracle univrsal installer). When i reach the stage where you can specify the destination locations it is set to C:\program files (x86)\oracle\oui. After this the net configuration wizard starts and i am eventually asked to specify the host name followed by the username and password to test the connection to that host name (or server). At this point i get a message saying "Connecting... ORA-06413: Connection not open. The test did not succeed".

Is this to do with a compatibility issue with windows 7? i tried testing this on a 32 bit version of windows 7 and it seemed to work fine. I read somewhere that the parentheses in the C:\program files (x86) would cause such errors. It seems like this would be the case, but in my research i havnt found anyone run into this on the universal installer wizard. Any way i tried copying and pasting the C:\program files (x86) folder to rename and remove the parentheses and try installing in there, but to no avail. Are there any other workarounds that anyone knows of or is there a patch available to resolve this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated