This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2011 12:46 AM by LaurenzAlbe RSS

determine type of client installed

743319 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
can someone help me to determine which type of client is installed on my Windows server 2003 R2? The reason I am asking is because I am getting two different results. for example when I invoke sqlplus, the banner shows 10.2.0.1 but when I go to odbc drivers tool in windows the version of driver shows 10.2.0.3 which I think the current driver installed. I cannot identify if the current version of client is full version or just an instant client? is there a way to find out which type of client is installed? By the way there is only one oracle home so I can that the driver has to be called from the same home as sqlplus runs from yet both shows different versions. I didn't install client on this system nor there is any documentation about this system. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • 1. Re: determine type of client installed
    VishalP-Oracle Pro
    you can run the oracle universal installer from start->programs and check installed products.

Or you can use opatch utility.
  • 2. Re: determine type of client installed
    LaurenzAlbe Journeyer
    I wonder how you can be sure that there is only one version of Oracle installed.
    Your description seems to indicate that there are at least two versions of Oracle on your system.

To find out whether there is an Instant Client on the machine or not, search for the files oraociicus10.dll or oraociei10.dll
    If either of these is present, Oracle 10g Instant Client is installed.

Yours,
    Laurenz Albe
  • 3. Re: determine type of client installed
    743319 Newbie
    Laurenz Albe wrote:
    I wonder how you can be sure that there is only one version of Oracle installed.
    Your description seems to indicate that there are at least two versions of Oracle on your system.

To find out whether there is an Instant Client on the machine or not, search for the files oraociicus10.dll or oraociei10.dll
    If either of these is present, Oracle 10g Instant Client is installed.

Yours,
    Laurenz Albe
    Laurenz, would happen to know the path for these dll? where should I be looking for these? Thanks.
  • 4. Re: determine type of client installed
    orafad Oracle ACE
    Use Windows search, look for the files on all drive letters.

But it's not that straightforward. Finding the files provides just some clue to the bigger picture. You may need to look also at system env variable settings, registry settings for Oracle Home keys, etc.
  • 5. Re: determine type of client installed
    LaurenzAlbe Journeyer
    Right, that's not all. I'm just trying to proceed step by step.

If these DLLs are somewhere on the system, somebody must have installed Instant Client at some time, whether the installation is still operational or not.
    The directory where these DLLs are found will also aid the investigation.

The next thing would be to see if Universal Installer is installed or not (perhaps available as Setup or similar in a start menu entry).
    Running that should show you the non-Instant-Client software components.

Alternatively, you can insert an Oracle Installation CD and start the setup process.
    That should let you see the currently installed software.

Yours,
    Laurenz Albe

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points