This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2012 4:38 PM by 908598 RSS

OCM JD Certification help

908598 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi frnz

I am java professional and web component developer certified. Now looking for java developer Certificate. But from the research on web and in my surrounding i Have few Doubts like:
Do i have to take oracle java training before Assignment and Essay?
What is the voucher price for this certificate in India(If it is country specific)?
Being a self learner where can i look for assistance in preparation for it?

Your help is appreciated n thnx in advance.
  • 1. Re: OCM JD Certification help
    gimbal2 Guru
    You are already web component certified but you still need to do the basic OCJD certificate? I thought that OCJD was a prerequisite for OCWD.

I want to pose a question to you: why do you want to do this? I hope you aren't fooling yourself into thinking having the certificate is going to help you get a job. The only thing it proves is that you're good at remembering stuff. Unless you do it for personal reasons I would spend my money elsewhere and let your work experience do the talking in a job interview. I assume you have that since you call yourself a Java professional.
  • 2. Re: OCM JD Certification help
    908598 Newbie
    gimbal2 wrote:
    You are already web component certified but you still need to do the basic OCJD certificate? I thought that OCJD was a prerequisite for OCWD.

I want to pose a question to you: why do you want to do this? I hope you aren't fooling yourself into thinking having the certificate is going to help you get a job. The only thing it proves is that you're good at remembering stuff. Unless you do it for personal reasons I would spend my money elsewhere and let your work experience do the talking in a job interview. I assume you have that since you call yourself a Java professional.
    Yes, I am still planning to do it. let me explain to you
    OCM JD (Oracle Certified Master Java Developer Standard Edition 6) and
    OCP WCD(Oracle Certified Programmer Web Component Developer Enterprise Edition 5)

So as u See both are two different thing one is for distributed applications and the other one is for stand-alone development. So both are two different things and It was never been a pre-requesite to OCWD.

I have no experience and wrote Java Professional because I am Certified Java Professional(SCJP) not that i am working Java Professional. I want to do because it no doubt it will help me getting a job. You see to show your ability, you have to get a chance to prove yourself while you are standing in a crowd of thousands.
    And besides my major reason to do it is that I did my SCJP Certification 2 years ago and then was using it for next 8-10 months. But now i think i need to revise these things and acquire the changes that have occurred with java platform during that time. So basically i am brusing up my skills.

So, Thanks for your word of confidence.
  • 3. Re: OCM JD Certification help
    gimbal2 Guru
    codeworksbetterthanme wrote:
    Yes, I am still planning to do it. let me explain to you
    OCM JD (Oracle Certified Master Java Developer Standard Edition 6) and
    OCP WCD(Oracle Certified Programmer Web Component Developer Enterprise Edition 5)

So as u See both are two different thing one is for distributed applications and the other one is for stand-alone development. So both are two different things and It was never been a pre-requesite to OCWD.
    Oh yeah, that "master java developer" thing. So according to your own logic that will make you a master Java developer, right?

>
    I have no experience and wrote Java Professional because I am Certified Java Professional(SCJP) not that i am working Java Professional.
    That's what I mean, you're just lying not only to others but especially to yourself. A professional has a vast pool of experience, not a piece of paper that gives a false sense of entitlement. Any job interviewer with half a brain will realize that.
    I want to do because it no doubt it will help me getting a job. You see to show your ability, you have to get a chance to prove yourself while you are standing in a crowd of thousands.
    You do that by actually showing what you can do. If you need to prove yourself, make something that you can show to interviewers so you can prove that you are not just all talk. People don't build a portfolio for nothing. I don't care what part of the world you're from, that doesn't change.
    And besides my major reason to do it is that I did my SCJP Certification 2 years ago and then was using it for next 8-10 months. But now i think i need to revise these things and acquire the changes that have occurred with java platform during that time. So basically i am brusing up my skills.
    Nothing much changed in the last two years to warrant doing the certification process again. Since then Java 7 was released with a few minor changes to the language. You can catch up in about 30 minutes of reading I'd say. The bigger change is going to come with the release of Java 8, which will not take as long as Java 7. Perhaps you will want to wait until that moment before you start to think about certification again.

>
    So, Thanks for your word of confidence.
    Believe me, I have more confidence in you than you do yourself. I know you can get along without wasting money on all this if only you wouldn't lie this badly to yourself. But you have to do what you think is right, not what I think is right. If I can't persuade you to perhaps rethink a bit what you are trying to do, I wish you all the luck in the world.
  • 4. Re: OCM JD Certification help
    908598 Newbie
    Right you gimbal2 ,
    I don't care what part of the world you're from, that doesn't change.
    Of course THAT will not change but what changes(social pressure and professional competence) drives you something which can't be felt till you face.

But at some point you are also right.
    If you need to prove yourself, make something that you can show to interviewers so you can prove that you are not just all talk
    I will try to it that way as well.
    Believe me, I have more confidence in you than you do yourself
    Thanks for above, I really appreciate it.

I thingk i know what you are trying to make me understand(which i know perhaps) and i am thankful for that, but our this discussion taking this thread away from the main point because i will do what I have decided to do.
  • 5. Re: OCM JD Certification help
    gimbal2 Guru
    codeworksbetterthanme wrote:
    I thingk i know what you are trying to make me understand(which i know perhaps) and i am thankful for that, but our this discussion taking this thread away from the main point because i will do what I have decided to do.
    Then the discussion is basically over, because only you can know what is best for you, which includes what you need to do to prepare for the certification. Some people need to cram for weeks and take additional courses as backup, others can do it by flipping through a few books. If anything I'd recommend getting the OCJD study guide and on top of that buy Effective Java 2nd edition. You'll probably need a few more books, like Java Threads 3rd edition for a good read about threading and concurrency.

You might try to follow the (costly) advice Oracle gives you in the preparation description of the certification, that is about as much guidance as you can get.
  • 6. Re: OCM JD Certification help
    908598 Newbie
    Thanks gimbal2
    that is about as much guidance as you can get.
    You are really good at thinking that what you think is right with everyone.
    I agree with you that taking a cert is not as a good idea as being good at its purpose. But every one has his own way to do something. So You have yours' and I have mine. Even this thread was not about "if i should go for a cert or not?". what it for was/is How can u help me giving the certification exam. So, thanks for your extra away from the topic help.
    that is about as much guidance as you can get.
    This should have been "that is about as much guidance as you can provide".

But Thanks

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points