1 2 3 Previous Next 268 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2013 11:17 AM by n_shah18 RSS

Apex 4.2 wish list

scott.wesley
      Hi all,

I had a quick look and didn't see any other discussions on this, but I've blogged some thoughts on desired features/upgrades/fixes for 4.2

I remember seeing somewhere once a call for this sort of info on here.

http://www.grassroots-oracle.com/2011/12/my-apex-42-wish-list.html

Happy new year!

ScottWe
        • 1. Re: Apex 4.2 wish list
          Scott -

This is a great start! Although I might prioritize the list slightly differently, you hit most of the items that I would like to see improved. Thanks for putting a list like this together.

Austin
          • 2. Re: Apex 4.2 wish list
            scott.wesley
            Thanks Austin

I wouldn't say I included any particular priority, more so vaguely categorised them by implementation difficulty.

If I was to pick out 5 I'd like to see added, in order of preference:

1 - Lifecycle management (clear number one)
            2 - Hierarchical validations
            3 - API for help
            4 - Report layout/query process
            5 - Sequencing of next/previous

Scott
            • 3. Re: Apex 4.2 wish list
              trent
              I'd like to see enhancements to team development. Namely, some sort of notifications when people submit feedback/bugs/etc, whether that me a recurring subscription (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly - ok, yearly not very practical :D) or as they are submitted, to a configured system admin/developer (all sys admins?), or the feature owner. Or anything!

Am i alone in this?

Edited by: trent on Jan 5, 2012 4:22 PM

Aliases are ok, but on a huge app, that's a lot of aliases to remember!

Edited by: trent on Jan 5, 2012 4:23 PM

32k limitation anyone?
              • 4. Re: Apex 4.2 wish list
                scott.wesley
                Having a subscription feature for that would be a lot more convenient than writing your own procedure.

I agree, alais usefulness would have a low critical mass on application size - but useful even for key, possibly public components.

Our business case for the 32k limit was allowing an online customer to submit their logo for incorporation into a leader head produced by the application.
                • 5. Re: Apex 4.2 wish list
                  Joel_C
                  trent wrote:
                  I'd like to see enhancements to team development. Namely, some sort of notifications when people submit feedback/bugs/etc, whether that me a recurring subscription (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly - ok, yearly not very practical :D) or as they are submitted, to a configured system admin/developer (all sys admins?), or the feature owner. Or anything!

Am i alone in this?
                  No, I think Team Development is hopefully an area that's going to see a bit more evolution as new versions appear. Personally I think its a killer feature but it just needs a bit of tweaking to make using it more intuitive. There are just enough rough edges at the moment to put off all but the most persistent but I believe having a productivity and project management suite integrated directly within your development environment is too good a feature to ignore forever.

(on that note, my previous message about a potential bug in TD hasn't been acknowledged yet: BUG: Team Development - Default Release returns 0 instead of null )
                  Edited by: trent on Jan 5, 2012 4:23 PM

32k limitation anyone?
                  From previous disussions, my understanding is that the limit isn't strictly speaking an APEX-specific problem but related to the database itself, or at least up to version 10. (Re: Function Returning SQL: ORA-6502: 32K for example).
                  • 6. Re: Apex 4.2 wish list
                    trent
                    Joel_C wrote:
                    (on that note, my previous message about a potential bug in TD hasn't been acknowledged yet: BUG: Team Development - Default Release returns 0 instead of null )
                    I've often wondered if its better to send an email the application express support email, than posting in the forum - but im not sure what is the etiquette, is the support email more for run time issues of apex.oracle.com than reporting potential bugs... i notice some bugs reported in the forums get acknowledged, and others don't - whether thats because some dont get seen or they aren't worth acknowledging i don't know....
                    From previous disussions, my understanding is that the limit isn't strictly speaking an APEX-specific problem but related to the database itself, or at least up to version 10. (Re: Function Returning SQL: ORA-6502: 32K for example).
                    Yeah I was thinking about it today as I was writing a package to write to a webdav server, which i need to write_raw which has the limit of 32k, but using the header transfer-encoding: chunked, allows submitting the data in blocks. Similar sort of thing could be done here? Anyway, looking at that thread, i guess when apex moves to a minimum requirement of 11g, the limitation might be removed. (which i can't see happening any time soon)
                    • 7. Re: Apex 4.2 wish list
                      scott.wesley
                      I thought I once saw a request from the Apex product managers to post bugs/feature request etc on the forum (as one preferred avenue), but that's going by memory - unless anyone has some supporting information?
                      • 8. Re: Apex 4.2 wish list
                        I did find one minor thing I'd like to see at some point. In the Interactive Report - Group By function, it would be nice to be able to sort by the columns that are not in the GROUP BY clause.

Austin
                        • 9. Re: Apex 4.2 wish list
                          I would also like to see more on gantt charts. Hope we will have more customization options, for example: defining different colors per resource, etc.

Also, we should have AnyChart Editable chart integrated. Have a look at this
                          http://www.anychart.com/products/anygantt/online-demos/resource-chart-editor/index.html
                          • 10. Re: Apex 4.2 wish list
                            WesFrench
                            On the Page Definition I'd like to be able to filter out objects by conditions (or not conditional).

It would be nice to be able to collapse a column, especially the Shared Components.

Also filter Validations by type.

On the Search Application it would be great to be able to Search Application or Search Current Page, I know you can run the search and then check/uncheck current page, but it would be nicer to have the option without re-searching. What else would be great is to search the current page and have it highlight the objects instead of a list of results.
                            • 11. Re: Apex 4.2 wish list
                              sky123
                              I really like the look and feel of theme 23. However, it only looks good in such modern browsers as Chrome or Firefox. It doesn't look good in Internet Explorer 7, 8, and even 9. Unfortunately, general users only know IE and use IE - and part of this is caused by the 'IE Only' policy established by most corporate environment. It will be fantastic if there is an equivalent theme of theme 23 without using HTML5 and CSS3.

Thanks.

Andy
                              • 12. Re: Apex 4.2 wish list
                                sky123
                                Is it possible for APEX to store the Generic Columns (XSL-FO) layout in a CLOB data type? I had experience creating a custom template for use with Apache Cocoon. Because the template included some predefined substitution variables for APEX, whenever it hit the upper limit of the PL/SQL VARCHAR2 data type - 32767 bytes, it would cause the error.

Also, currently, there is no way to customize the color of the sub-total or total rows in the pdf output by using generic columns layout. It will be nice if there can become declarative inside APEX builder.

Thanks.

Andy
                                • 13. Re: Apex 4.2 wish list
                                  APP_PAGE_ALIAS substitution string would be great (already been mentioned) as well as APP_PREV_PAGE. While at it, I think I have seen that typing in an app page alias into the "reset pagination" field on branches, etc. doesn't work either and I'd like it to. It's better IMHO in the long run to use aliases rather than page numbers.

I'd also like to see the ability to declaratively define tabular form columns (and detail region columns in master-detail forms) as read-only (IIRC there is no way to do so and you have to use Javscript to run around to every row/column combo and manually disable or set to read-only).

Speaking of read-only, I would love declarative region-level and page-level read only attributes as well. Currently you have to maintain every item individually which is a huge maintenance nightmare (e.g.: a user should get a read-only version of a page and you have to define it on every item one by one, maintenance nightmare too as new page items are added).

In tabular forms and detail regions of master-detail forms, would love row-level cascading LOVs that are dependent on values in the same row.

Would love an Apex Javascript API to get and manipulate tabular form fields by column name and row number (I have written my own stuff using the fmap array to get around this and it's very generic and copy-paste but would be great if Apex would just permit this with an API).

Would love in a tabular form to be able to both save changed rows and delete selected rows in one shot. It always becomes an annoying training issue to tell users they can't do both at the same time.

(Gee can you tell I work with tabular forms a lot?)

Would love (is this out there and IDK about it yet?) a very easy API call or something to check if any data in a form has changed (or just a declarative region or page-level setting to turn on) to automatically prompt the user when they're about to leave a page if they have unsaved changes. AFAIK one has to hand-code this every time now, right?

Would be great to assign an authorization scheme to multiple objects at once. Right now you have to go find every object and update them painfully slowly one by one.

And this one is more of a BI thing maybe and not sure if it's possible already and I just don't know about it, but it'd be nice to run a BI report and have the output file optionally first saved in a table and opened or saved to the local user's computer. We've had a few instances where users want to run a report and store it in the DB at the same time so that every run of a report is saved off. Right now it seems they have to save it first on their computer and then upload it in a second step.
                                  • 14. Re: Apex 4.2 wish list
                                    Support of MySql would make Apex very popular. It is shame that Apex does not support MySql which is another Oracle product.
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next