This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2012 7:31 AM by mdtunxadmin RSS

VOLTAGE_SENSOR at MB/V_VTT has exceeded  low warning threshold on my T1000

mdtunxadmin Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
My T1000 server is reporting a low voltage warning. What is causing this or what steps can I take to help identify the issue? Any help would be appreciated!

lom> showfaults -v
Last POST run: TUE NOV 01 17:25:39 2011
POST status: Passed all devices

ID Time FRU Fault
0 DEC 31 20:59:11 MB VOLTAGE_SENSOR at MB/V_VTT has exceeded
low warning threshold.
  • 1. Re: VOLTAGE_SENSOR at MB/V_VTT has exceeded  low warning threshold on my T1000
    Nik Expert
    Hi.
    Replace Litium battery on Mother Board.

Battery type:
    BR1225 3V (CF)n/Li
    or CR1225 3V MnO2 /Li Battery
    Renata CR1225
    Panasonic BR1225
    Rayovac BR1225

Regards,
    Nikolay.

Agree. It's not correct for this case.

Edited by: Nik on 05.01.2012 13:53
  • 2. Re: VOLTAGE_SENSOR at MB/V_VTT has exceeded  low warning threshold on my T1000
    mdtunxadmin Newbie
    What are the effects of removing that battery from a T1000? Will it effect the system? Aka: Does it store the lom configuration or something that is important/critical?
    Thanks for your response!!
  • 3. Re: VOLTAGE_SENSOR at MB/V_VTT has exceeded  low warning threshold on my T1000
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    I disagree.
    "MB/V_VTT " is not the battery voltage trace line.
    If that little lithium battery had failed, you would see a reference to "MB.BAT.V_BAT" instead.

I fear it is a sensor on the systemboard that handles some other voltage control function.
    You either have a power supply that is about to totally fail, or you have a problem with the systemboard.

I vote for thte systemboard.
  • 4. Re: VOLTAGE_SENSOR at MB/V_VTT has exceeded  low warning threshold on my T1000
    mdtunxadmin Newbie
    I believe you are correct that it is NOT the battery on the motherboard. I believe if there was a problem with that, you would see problems with the MB/V_+3V3STBY (which I believe stby stands for system battery). Is there anything I can do to test to make sure it's the motherboard versus the power supply? The server in reference is in another country and the system is in use. I don't want to have to take 2 outages if necessary. Thoughts?

Here is the current output for Voltage (note: The current Voltage for VTT is right on the LowWarn value):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Voltage sensors (in Volts):
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sensor Status Voltage LowSoft LowWarn HighWarn HighSoft
    MB/V_VCORE OK 1.30 1.20 1.24 1.36 1.39
    MB/V_VMEM OK 1.75 1.69 1.72 1.87 1.90
    MB/V_VTT OK 0.86 0.84 0.86 0.93 0.95
    MB/V_+1V2 OK 1.19 1.09 1.11 1.28 1.30
    MB/V_+1V5 OK 1.49 1.36 1.39 1.60 1.63
    MB/V_+2V5 OK 2.50 2.27 2.32 2.67 2.72
    MB/V_+3V3 OK 3.31 3.06 3.10 3.49 3.53
    MB/V_+5V OK 5.02 4.55 4.65 5.35 5.45
    MB/V_+12V OK 12.18 10.92 11.16 12.84 13.08
    MB/V_+3V3STBY OK 3.33 3.16 3.23 3.43 3.49
  • 5. Re: VOLTAGE_SENSOR at MB/V_VTT has exceeded  low warning threshold on my T1000
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    MB/V_VTT OK 0.86 0.84 0.86 0.93 0.95
    That's encouraging. That additional information now suggests you should suspect the power supply. A systemboard is so very solid state that if it were the failing/failed part, your reported voltage would be at zero instead of at something measurable.

A power supply has analog sub-components, such as resisters and capacitors in it. Also, the contact points in the plug that connects it to the systemboard can be deformed or corroded over time.

But ...
    You might just need to consider going out to whatever your favorite online auction web site (for example, eBay) and just getting a spare T1000 or two for parts. You didn't tell us but I suspect you don't have service contract coverage on your box. eBay parts are much less expensive than refurbished parts from an authorized reseller.

Get ALL your parts to the data center and schedule a service window. Swap the PSU and see what happens. Swap the board only as a second step.

If you had contract coverage you would have just logged a ticket with Support instead of posting to a user-to-user discussion forum.
  • 6. Re: VOLTAGE_SENSOR at MB/V_VTT has exceeded  low warning threshold on my T1000
    mdtunxadmin Newbie
    I did put in a ticket to Support, but I was not getting a straight answer what the message was. I found out what the VTT voltage message refers to. It refers to the Memory Termination Voltage Rail sensor. I checked our other T1000s we have around the world and found out that everyone that I checked was at .87, the LowWarn is .86, which is why I got the warning. I was told that I had an outdated firmware and I upgraded the firmware, but the value stayed the same. I think this is probably something to ignore at the moment, but I wanted to share what that monitor is actually checking. Thanks for everyone who chimmed in and tried to help!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points