6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2012 9:46 PM by Ravi Jegga

RCU installation issue

SunilSharma
      Hi,

i am installing rcu on linux so i went to the path rcuhome/bin and then run the command ./rcu(it throwed the error "DISPLAY not set.
      Set DISPLAY environment variable, then re-run.")

so i tried setting the display as: $ export DISPLAY=101.23.100.1:0.0 and checked it in the env it displays the same.

but after setting the display when the run the same command again ./rcu it throwed the error as below:

Failed to initialize logger with location :/apps/OBIEE/Software/rcuHome/rcu/log/logdir.2012-01-06_12-36/rcu.log
      Initializing logger using the following location :/tmp/logdir.2012-01-06_12-36/rcu.log
      Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using '101.23.100.1:0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
      at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
      at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.access$100(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:52)
      at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment$1.run(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:155)
      at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
      at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:131)
      at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
      at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:169)
      at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:68)
      at sun.awt.X11.XToolkit.<clinit>(XToolkit.java:89)
      at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
      at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:169)
      at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:834)
      at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
      at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:826)
      at com.jgoodies.looks.LookUtils.isLowResolution(LookUtils.java:484)
      at com.jgoodies.looks.LookUtils.<clinit>(LookUtils.java:249)
      at com.jgoodies.looks.plastic.PlasticLookAndFeel.<clinit>(PlasticLookAndFeel.java:135)
      at oracle.sysman.assistants.rcu.ui.InteractiveRCUModel.<init>(InteractiveRCUModel.java:117)
      at oracle.sysman.assistants.rcu.Rcu.execute(Rcu.java:292)
      at oracle.sysman.assistants.rcu.Rcu.main(Rcu.java:344)

any help?

thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: RCU installation issue
          user637881
          Why don't you just run it from your PC? It doesn't need to run on the server that you're installing OBIEE on. It just needs to be able to connect to the database.

Jerry
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: RCU installation issue
            Kalyan Chukkapalli
            Hi,

Set the DISPLAY env variable to Machine Name instead of IP and then export DISPLAY.

Example:

$ DISPLAY=<machine-name>:0.0; export DISPLAY

To test if DISPLAY is working execute xclock. If you can see a clock (a small popup window opens), then you can start the installation.

Example:

$ xclock

Hope it helps you.

Regards,
            Kalyan Chukkapalli
            http://123obi.com
            • 3. Re: RCU installation issue
              SunilSharma
              Hi Kaylan,

i changed the DISPLAY as suggested

$ DISPLAY=mylinux:0.0; export DISPLAY

in the ENV i can see the same DISPLAY=mylinux:0.0

and i executed the $ xlock
              Error: Can't open display: mylinux:0.0

any othe suggestions?
              • 4. Re: RCU installation issue
                user637881
                Why are you trying to run the RCU on the Linux server? Just run it on your PC.

Jerry
                • 5. Re: RCU installation issue
                  SunilSharma
                  Thanks Jerry...okay let me do that way. it wont have any problem right? its just for creating the 2 schemas like BI_MDS and BI_PLATFORM? do we need to have the sysdba privilages for sure without that cant we proceed? because in our comp i dont think they provide the sysdba privilage for the existing id or for new id.
                  • 6. Re: RCU installation issue
                    Ravi Jegga
                    Hi
                    Yes, 100 % you need SYS Privileges. You Cannot Proceed without this. When you run rcu utility, it will ask for db host, port, sid, SYS username, password. NOW this RCU is a big giant sql script(s), that creates Schemas, Tablespaces, Users, Tables, Views, Sequences etc etc. Hence RCU needs SYS details. Some people will try creating manually these 2 schemas like bi_platform, bi_mds and try to run RCU. But this will NOT work.

One option is, give RCU Zip file to your SYS DBA guy(s). Give him all the instructions. Like Unzip it, and run rcu.bat file. Its very simple. It takes about 15 mts. You can walkthrough and allow DB guys to do this themselves.

And yes, you can run RCU from any OS like Windows or Linux. So in your case use Windows. All you need is db host, port, sid, SYS username, SYS password. Thats all.

Thanks
                    Ravi Jegga