7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2013 12:15 PM by 1001120 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Answer based on another answer?

Is there a way to create an Answer in OBIEE (11.1.1.5) where the source of the data is another analysis previously created? Several users seem to want this type of functionality where they want to perform calculations on the numbers generated through another canned analysis.

I know you can filter the results of an analysis based on the results of another analysis, but this is not the same as being able to create an analysis based on another one. Does anyone know if such a thing is even possible?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Answer based on another answer?
          Dhar
          Hi,

I think you can write a subquery through Advanced tab of Analysis in OBIEE 11g. Please see if the steps below can help

1. Create an analysis for the source report(The report which is your data source in this case).
          2. Validate the results and if they are fine capture the 'SQL' through Advanced tab.
          3. Now create the final report and in the from clause, please provide this source SQL.

This way, we can make the BI Server generate a sub query.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
          Dhar
          • 2. Re: Answer based on another answer?
            MuRam
            Hi,

Can you please clarify if you want to use the final report column from another report?

Regards
            MuRam
            http://www.obiee10grevisited.blogspot.com/
            • 3. Re: Answer based on another answer?
              Yes, the original answer is a complex pivot table with several aggregations and I am trying to use the columns from this answer in another report.
              Can you think of any way? Sub query is helpful, but being able to use the pivot view as a source for another answer is very powerful and I am wondering if I can do that.
              • 4. Re: Answer based on another answer?
                MuRam
                Hi,

I think you are aware of the 'Filter based on results of another request' option in the filter condition. If you need me to elaborate how to incorporate this into the report, I will explain this?
                Or let me know if my understanding is wrong.

Regards
                MuRam
                • 5. Re: Answer based on another answer?
                  Yes, as I mentioned in my first post, I know how to Filter based on another query, but that is not what I am trying to do. I am trying to use the columns from one view of one analysis in another analysis.
                  • 6. Re: Answer based on another answer?
                    MuRam
                    Hi,

As you said- I am trying to use the columns from one view of one analysis in another analysis.

Then for this 'Filter based on another request can be brought into picture. Create columns and refer them from another analysis based on another analysis.

Regards
                    MuRam
                    • 7. Re: Answer based on another answer?
                      I am trying to use results from column in another column. The first column is a formula and i'd like to use the results to do a case statement in the second column I believe:

CASE WHEN (TIMESTAMPDIFF(SQL_TSI_MONTH,"- Lines"."Expiration Date","- Lines"."Start Date" ) ) >12 THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N' END

This is my formula in the second column, I'd like the results from the first column TIMESTAMPDIFF(SQL_TSI_MONTH,"- Lines"."Expiration Date","- Lines"."Start Date" ) that are >12 to display as a Y and everything else an N. All are displaying as N so it's not reading my formula. any help would be appreciated