This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2012 4:54 AM by 933426 RSS

Java Control Panel

909912 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Greetings,

We have a machine that was upgraded to jre6.30 and now when I bring up the control panel, I get the following error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe -Xbootclasspath/a:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre\bin\..lib\deploy.jar" -Duser.home="C:\users\eichelbergerc\" com.sun.deploy.panel.ControlPanel

Now, if I run the exact same command from the command like, it shows up fine.

I addition, this seems to have hosed Java as I can't get it to run. I have tried uninstalling and installing the same versions/different versions, javara, ccleaner, revo uninstaller, registry edits, etc.

And these are Windows 7 x64 machines.

Thanks in advance,

Charles
  • 1. Re: Java Control Panel
    gimbal2 Guru
    906909 wrote:
    Greetings,
    This:
    Now, if I run the exact same command from the command like, it shows up fine.
    And this:
    I addition, this seems to have hosed Java as I can't get it to run.
    completely contradict each other. What exactly are you trying to "run", The JDK is just a bunch of command line tools.
  • 2. Re: Java Control Panel
    909912 Newbie
    Sorry. I can bring up the control panel via the DOS command but Java does not work in my browser. I would think that the two are related to each other but I am not a Java guru.

Regards,

Charles
  • 3. Re: Java Control Panel
    EJP Guru
    We have a machine that was upgraded to jre6.30 and now when I bring up the control panel, I get the following error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe -Xbootclasspath/a:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre\bin\..lib\deploy.jar" -Duser.home="C:\users\eichelbergerc\" com.sun.deploy.panel.ControlPanel
    That's not an error. It is a command line. Your question remains obscure.
  • 4. Re: Java Control Panel
    909912 Newbie
    When I click on the Java Control Panel from the WIndows 7 Control Panel, I get a popup box that states the following:

It will not let me into the Java Control Panel. However, if I put the above command in a CMD prompt, it allows me into the Java Control Panel.

Does that clarify it?

Thanks

Charles

Edited by: 906909 on Jan 10, 2012 9:08 AM
  • 5. Re: Java Control Panel
    817264 Journeyer
    Try installing latest 7u4 - does it resolve the problem?
    http://jdk7.java.net/download.html

If not:

1. Install "Process Monitor" from sysinternals.com . Launch it
    2. Add following process name substrings to the filter
    iexplore
    firefox
    chrome
    plugin
    msi
    java

3. Open your browser and try launching applet.

4. Once it fail to launch export PML log, zip it and post link here (of file bug to bugs.sun.com)
  • 6. Re: Java Control Panel
    gimbal2 Guru
    igor wrote:
    7u4? The latest release is 7u2. Whatever happened to 7u3 I wonder, it is currently in quarantine to be released soon?

Checking the roadmap:

http://blogs.oracle.com/javaone/entry/moving_java_forward_java_strategy

Seems like there isn't going to be a 7u5 either. Perhaps they reserve the uneven numbers for paying customers or hotfix releases?
  • 7. Re: Java Control Panel
    909912 Newbie
    No joy. The beta did not work. I have posted the PML log at the following site:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxttwDiWfNZ7YTEzODVhYmEtNjM3ZS00ODg1LTg1NGYtNDMwYWZjNWEyMDE0

Thanks in advance,

Charles
  • 8. Re: Java Control Panel
    handat Expert
    gimbal2 wrote:
    igor wrote:
    7u4? The latest release is 7u2. Whatever happened to 7u3 I wonder, it is currently in quarantine to be released soon?
    That's a common open source convention. The odd numbers are used for unstable test releases while the even numbers are for stable releases.
  • 9. Re: Java Control Panel
    gimbal2 Guru
    handat wrote:
    That's a common open source convention. The odd numbers are used for unstable test releases while the even numbers are for stable releases.
    I have no reason not to believe you, but so far this is the first time I see it myself :)
  • 10. Re: Java Control Panel
    EJP Guru
    The odd numbers are used for unstable test releases while the even numbers are for stable releases.
    You mean every second build is stable? throughout the universe?

Would that it were so simple :-|
  • 11. Re: Java Control Panel
    933426 Newbie
    It might be caused by the file c:\program

Moving/deleting that file solved this error message for me.

Try opening the file in Notepad and see what the contents are. In my case it was a logfile from Secunia CSI. Probably caused by not enclosing a logfile string in quotes "".

E.g:
    SomeFile.exe /log %programfiles%\SomeFolder\LogFile.log
    would translate into:
    SomeFile.exe /log C:\Program Files\SomeFolder\LogFile.log
    which would then be interpreted (by the .exe) as:
    SomeFile.exe /log C:\Program

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points