This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 8:38 AM by 1000547 RSS

Action Link on a report

user1146711 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello Experts,
I have a report and i have created an action link with a inline prompt on the report. when you click on the action link on the graph then the report is executing directly with out showing the prompt or prompt selection, but when i try to execute the action individually with out linking on the report then it is working fine as expected and i am getting the prompt option before executing the report. I am not sure if i need to enable anything in order for the action on the report to give the prompt before executing directly please advise.

Thanks,
RC
  • 1. Re: Action Link on a report
    user1146711 Newbie
    Any advise please?
  • 2. Re: Action Link on a report
    MuRam Expert
    Hi,

While giving the action link, you will have at the bottom 'Do not display in a popup if only one action link is available at runtime'. You can enable or disable according to your requirement.

Regards
    MuRam
  • 3. Re: Action Link on a report
    user1146711 Newbie
    Thanks for your response, but my question is not about the popup. My action link has a prompt in it and when i click on the click the action link from the report i am not getting the prompt option which is Year and state i want year and state to be prompted instead the report is opening directly when i click on the column where i given the action link. But when i execute the Action link by itself individually i am getting the prompt window for year and State. so basically when i give the action link to the column on a report then when i click on the column i get the action link pop up and when i click on it it is directly opening the report. Hope i am clear. Please advise.

Thanks,
    RC
  • 4. Re: Action Link on a report
    MuRam Expert
    Hi ,

If you are using 10g then you need to give two navigation path with a caption.
    If you are using 11g then you need to add two action links and click on the bottom pop-up option. If its not happening, then you need to create a new report because this problem occured in our case too.

Hope this helps

Regards
    MuRam
  • 5. Re: Action Link on a report
    user1146711 Newbie
    Thanks MuRam, I am using 11g, Could you please explain if i am wrong, as per my understanding you are saying for me to add two action links of the same kind, i mean same action link two times. I am not sure why i need to add two action links i need only one. I also tried creating every thing new report and action link all that tried checking the pop up thing as well. Still i am not getting the prompt the report is directly opening with out getting the prompt for year, state. If you are saying pop up i am able to enable and disable the pop up but that not my question my question is about i created a report with prompt in it and i made that report as action link and tied it with another report column and when i click on the column values of the report i get the action link popup and when i click on that the report directly opens with out the prompt option.

Thanks,
    Ravi
  • 6. Re: Action Link on a report
    Dhar Expert
    Hi RC,

I am sorry, if I got this wrong but I understand that you have created a report and a graph(with some parameters through isPrompted feature?). You enabled an action link on the report which should ask for some parameters and then filter the graph.

If I am wrong, May I request you to provide some more details on your reports, May be I can help.

Thank you,
    Dhar
  • 7. Re: Action Link on a report
    user1146711 Newbie
    Dhar,
    Thanks a lot for your response. That will be great if you can help me with this. Yes you are right, but its the other way i enabled the action link on the graph y axis value to execute the report ,how can i make that report to prompt first before executing directly after clicking on the action link from the graph. As i mentioned when i execute the action link by itself independently it is prompting fine. Please advise.

Thanks,
    RC
  • 8. Re: Action Link on a report
    user1146711 Newbie
    Any Advise?

Thanks,
    RC
  • 9. Re: Action Link on a report
    Dhar Expert
    user1146711 wrote:
    Any Advise?

Thanks,
    RC
    Hi RC,

I have trying this thing. For action links -> Navigate to BI Content there seems to be no option to pass some parameters. I created a graph and enabled action links to another report. But when I click it does not ask me as you say since this navigation has no feature at all. I am thinking because the BI Server would automatically take care of passing the source report context to destination report and filter it based on the source report value clicked.

Probably we have to somehow control it in the source report itself like displaying the prompt value which you would like to pass, so that we can click on that itself.

Thank you,
    Dhar
  • 10. Re: Action Link on a report
    user1146711 Newbie
    Dhar,
    If i understand you right you were saying to add the inline prompts on the report and add that report link on the graph and that is exactly what i did in the first place and it is directly executing the report with out prompting even though the report has the prompts in it. One other way i can do was to add the url by choosing the option navigate to the webpage and add the report url and it is working that way but the problem i can see is the url will be different from dev to prod and the report location sould be consistent, i haven't tested that part but i am thinking that might be the issue with the url route. How ever it is weird why the prompt will not work with the navigate to Bi approach. Thanks for your time testing it though.

RC
  • 11. Re: Action Link on a report
    Dhar Expert
    user1146711 wrote:
    Dhar,
    If i understand you right you were saying to add the inline prompts on the report and add that report link on the graph and that is exactly what i did in the first place and it is directly executing the report with out prompting even though the report has the prompts in it. One other way i can do was to add the url by choosing the option navigate to the webpage and add the report url and it is working that way but the problem i can see is the url will be different from dev to prod and the report location sould be consistent, i haven't tested that part but i am thinking that might be the issue with the url route. How ever it is weird why the prompt will not work with the navigate to Bi approach. Thanks for your time testing it though.

RC
    Hi RC,

I even tried the URL way though. I have taken the bookmarked url of the destination report and modified in the action link such a way that it would ask the parameter value. However, once we provide the value, it executes the report and gives us a message saying the 'Action has been successfully invoked'. Yes, it does not navigate me to that report, its just like executing that report one time.

I will keep posted if I figure out any other options too.

Thank you,
    Dhar
  • 12. Re: Action Link on a report
    user1146711 Newbie
    Thanks Dhar. I appreciate your time in looking into the issue. here is the link to show you my approach http://obiee1000.blogspot.com/2012/01/action-linking-inline-prompt.html

Edited by: user1146711 on Jan 11, 2012 2:09 PM
  • 13. Re: Action Link on a report
    user1146711 Newbie
    I just found from oracle that its a bug and here is the info in regards to that

bug 10312795 ACTION LINK ON COLUMN HEADING NAVIGATION DOES NOT CONSIDER PROMPT VALUES

Thanks,
    RC

Edited by: user1146711 on Jan 13, 2012 2:14 PM
  • 14. Re: Action Link on a report
    user1146711 Newbie
    Its a bug
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points