4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2012 9:38 AM by RobertMetcalf RSS

Enterprise Business Services and Oracle Service Bus

RobertMetcalf
      Hi,
      We are using AIA and we have developed a number of EBS’. These are composite applications containing a mediator and are deployed to the SOA Server.
      Am I right in saying that another option is to use the Oracle Service Bus and replace the composite application ESB’s with ESB’s in the Oracle Service Bus?
      Robert
        • 1. Re: Enterprise Business Services and Oracle Service Bus
          Gerhard Drasch-Oracle
          Robert,
          what you describe is technically possible, however I can hardly see any benefit in that would compensate the trade-offs (additional infrastructure, monitoring across 2 tools, harder instance tracking, etc.) of such an approach.

What benefit are you trying to achieve when replacing mediator composites with OSB services?

Gerhard
          • 2. Re: Enterprise Business Services and Oracle Service Bus
            RobertMetcalf
            Gerhard,
            I was thinking the benefits would be:
            -     End point Virtualisation – Single end point for services we can configure.
            -     Move the job of wiring the integrations from Development to Admin
            -     Single point of monitoring for SLA’s and QOS
            -     Improve visibility of ESB’s by providing a single list. (At the moment they are amongst many services in enterprise manager.)

At the moment we have 3 SOA servers connected to 6 systems. (Dev, Test and Prod) I was imagining it might be possible to have a single OSB with Service routing controlled by policies. This way we would not need three OSB setup’s.

I am also charged with planning for the development of further services and we already have a long list of composites in enterprise manager. I am imagining that this will quickly become unmanageable. With OSB we could hide the downstream services and only show the EBS’.

I also imagined that when we introduced a 11.1.1.6 SOA server we could simply adjust the routing rules at the OSB to set up a dev environment. Test out the new services work, then make similar adjustments on a per EBS basis until we have migrated completely to 11.1.1.6.

I agree that there are a lot of trade off’s and I do not really have the experience to weigh up the balance between the two. Yesterday I was asked to come up with methods of monitoring performance of the current integration as well as future integrations and the OSB data sheet talks a little bit about this which is why I am thinking more about it; Although have only got as far as looking at the OSB data sheet and some manuals.

I guess another option would be to go with some EBS’s as mediators and others on OSB but I think using a consistent method for EBS’s would be preferable.
            Also there is the question do we have one OSB for all systems or separate OSB’s for Dev, Test and Prod.

Robert
            • 3. Re: Enterprise Business Services and Oracle Service Bus
              veejai24
              I tried in my previous project to use OSB as EBS layer. It is feasible to replace mediator but i was thinking what benefits we will get ?

One main issue i faced is, the AIAComponents that we get as part of the Foundation Pack has to be updated with binding information to each and every EBS sevices.
              Otherwise you wont be able to view the EBO operations from eclipse editor.

I had included those binding information for each and every service that we wanted to use and then we are able to complete the POC. Once Oracle include the OSB with in SOA Suite 12g and fix this EBS with binding information for all their EBS services then we can replace the Mediator with OSB in EBS layer.

Like to know more information about this approach.

Thanks,
              Vijay
              • 4. Re: Enterprise Business Services and Oracle Service Bus
                RobertMetcalf
                Hi,
                It sounds like this is a good idea in theory but introduces a set of problems with the current version. We have decided to stick with mediators for now and possibly move towards an OSB solution once we have future versions.
                Robert