1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 4:35 AM by 666373 Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Oracle Linux4 update5 -- NTFS mounting
        Avi Miller-Oracle
        user9959418 wrote:
        ahh.. thanks so much.. upgrading it now. it had already downloaded the new repo file but the second command got failed.
        That command is wrong. I'll let the guys know. It should be:
         mv ULN-Base.repo ULN-Base.repo.disabled 
        • 16. Re: Oracle Linux4 update5 -- NTFS mounting
          I was trying to install update9, it downloaded 785 updates, but it showed one error at the end-
          Error Downloading Packages:
          xorg-x11-devel - 6.8.2-1.0.1.EL.66.i386: failure: xorg-x11-devel-6.8.2-1.0.1.EL.66.i386.rpm from el4_u9_base: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Please help.

Thanks,
          Anshul Singhal
          • 17. Re: Oracle Linux4 update5 -- NTFS mounting
            Avi Miller-Oracle
            user9959418 wrote:
            Error Downloading Packages:
            xorg-x11-devel - 6.8.2-1.0.1.EL.66.i386: failure: xorg-x11-devel-6.8.2-1.0.1.EL.66.i386.rpm from el4_u9_base: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
            Weird, because it's there:

http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/EnterpriseLinux/EL4/9/base/i386/xorg-x11-devel-6.8.2-1.0.1.EL.66.i386.rpm

Perhaps try running the yum upgrade again?
            1 person found this helpful
            • 18. Re: Oracle Linux4 update5 -- NTFS mounting
              ok, i will try installing it once again. but do i need to do any clean up activity before i proceed with the upgrade?

thanks,
              Anshul
              • 19. Re: Oracle Linux4 update5 -- NTFS mounting
                Avi Miller-Oracle
                user9959418 wrote:
                ok, i will try installing it once again. but do i need to do any clean up activity before i proceed with the upgrade?
                No. Yum wouldn't have run the upgrade until it can download all the packages. In fact, cleaning up now would require you to re-download all the packages, so it's better if you don't. :)
                • 20. Re: Oracle Linux4 update5 -- NTFS mounting
                  Well, atleast its good, i did not have to download those packages once again :)
                  I tried to download once again and it showed me following messages -

Downloading Packages:
                  (1/1): xorg-x11-devel-6.8 100% |=========================| 4.7 MB 00:10
                  warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID b38a8516
                  Public key for spamassassin-3.2.4-1.el4.1.i386.rpm is not installed
                  Retrieving GPG key from http://public-yum.oracle.com/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle-el4
                  Importing GPG key 0xB38A8516 "Oracle OSS group (Open Source Software group) <build@oss.oracle.com>"

It is asking for yes/no answer. Please suggest shall i proceed?
                  Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
                  Anshul
                  • 21. Re: Oracle Linux4 update5 -- NTFS mounting
                    i said yes to that option. and it tested the installation successfully. but during the installation, after installing 86 updates, it came out of it.

Updating : pilot-link ################### [  82/1555]
                    Updating : shared-mime-info ################### [  83/1555]
                    Updating : e2fsprogs-devel ################### [  84/1555]
                    Updating : libstdc++-devel ################### [  85/1555]
                    Updating : sblim-gather ################### [  86/1555]

It did not say anything called -- installed completion successful. I am not sure if the installation was normal or not. Do you know if this is how it comes out?

Thanks,
                    Anshul
                    • 22. Re: Oracle Linux4 update5 -- NTFS mounting
                      Avi Miller-Oracle
                      user9959418 wrote:
                      It did not say anything called -- installed completion successful. I am not sure if the installation was normal or not. Do you know if this is how it comes out?
                      It may have run out of memory -- you need to keep running it until all 1555 packages are updated. You may find it easier to enable el4u6 first, upgrade to that, then when that's successful, disable that channel and enable el4u7, upgrade again, etc, i.e. step through the upgrades from el4u5 (which is where you are now) to el4u9 by going via el4u6, el4u7 and el4u8.
                      1 person found this helpful
                      • 23. Re: Oracle Linux4 update5 -- NTFS mounting
                        Well, it has completed the upgrade to update9. It ended with saying Completed!! But a few questions -

1. When i started the yum update for the 2nd time after it came out from the installation at the first attempt, the number of updates was different. e.g duing the first attempt, it showed to update around 1550 updates but when i installed it for 2nd time, it showed me only 1383. I hope that wouldn't be a problem?

2.When i was watching it installing all those updates, there were few lines that showed some warnings about creating the rpmnew like passwd.rpmnew. Do i need to do something about those rpmnew files?

Mr. Miller, You have been very helpful for me to complete this task, and i can't explain how thankful i am for your help. Thanks a ton!!

Thanks,
                        Anshul
                        • 24. Re: Oracle Linux4 update5 -- NTFS mounting
                          Avi Miller-Oracle
                          user9959418 wrote:
                          1. When i started the yum update for the 2nd time after it came out from the installation at the first attempt, the number of updates was different. e.g duing the first attempt, it showed to update around 1550 updates but when i installed it for 2nd time, it showed me only 1383. I hope that wouldn't be a problem?
                          That's because it had already downloaded a bunch of the updates the first time. The second time it downloaded less.
                          2.When i was watching it installing all those updates, there were few lines that showed some warnings about creating the rpmnew like passwd.rpmnew. Do i need to do something about those rpmnew files?
                          That's fine -- it's saying that it's not overwriting your local copies of the files. Those files are provided as a reference, in case you want to compare your copy with a pristine, original copy.
                          • 25. Re: Oracle Linux4 update5 -- NTFS mounting
                            Got it!! I will boot the system for the first time on Linux4 Update9 in the evening. I hope it works just fine :) And if it works then i will have to get NTFS mounting working. Last time when i tried to make it work, it failed because of invalid yum URL. Now after making it Oracle public yum URL, hoping to make it work.

Thanks so much..

Thanks,
                            Anshul
                            • 26. Re: Oracle Linux4 update5 -- NTFS mounting
                              Hello Mr. Miller,

The Linux is working fine. Now i am trying to mount NTFS hard disk. For that i have successfully installed the fuse.i386.
                              ------------------------------------Fuse installation-------------------------
                              Installed: fuse.i386 0:2.7.4-1.el4.rf fuse-ntfs-3g.i386 0:2010.10.2-1.el4.rf
                              Complete!
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

but when i run the following command i get error.

modprobe fuse

WARNING: /etc/modprobe.conf line 8: ignoring bad line starting with 'alias'
                              WARNING: /etc/modprobe.conf line 9: ignoring bad line starting with 'options'
                              FATAL: Module fuse not found.
                              --------------------------------------------------------------

Could you please tell me what is wrong with it? thanks.

Thanks,
                              Anshul
                              • 27. Re: Oracle Linux4 update5 -- NTFS mounting
                                one more thing -
                                i was checking the modprobe.conf file and found that there are 2 of those : one is modprobe.conf and modprobe.conf.dist
                                I don't think the .dist file was there before upgrade.

Thanks,
                                Anshul
                                • 28. Re: Oracle Linux4 update5 -- NTFS mounting
                                  Avi Miller-Oracle
                                  user9959418 wrote:
                                  i was checking the modprobe.conf file and found that there are 2 of those : one is modprobe.conf and modprobe.conf.dist
                                  You can ignore the .dist one, it's just a sample. What is the contents of modprobe.conf?

Essentially, you've installed the fuse binaries and ntfs-3g fuse module from a 3rd-party repository and they're not working, so support will be best-effort.
                                  • 29. Re: Oracle Linux4 update5 -- NTFS mounting
                                    Below are the contents of modprobe file -

alias scsi_hostadapter ahci
                                    alias snd-card-1 snd-azx
                                    options snd-card-1 index=1
                                    install snd-azx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-azx && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
                                    remove snd-azx { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-azx
                                    alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
                                    alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
                                    alias tg3
                                    options tg3
                                    alias eth0 tg3
                                    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
                                    options snd-card-0 index=0
                                    install snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-hda-intel && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
                                    remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel

Did you mean i should look for support from Oracle?

Thanks,
                                    Anshul