7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2012 2:17 PM by 903768 RSS

ILOM bootmode script property for problem resolution

Hi,

I am looking for a document or a tutorial on full extent of script capabilities. Could you point me to a document which describes the details on using ilom bootmode script property.

Thanks,
        • 1. Re: ILOM bootmode script property for problem resolution
          Hi,

I looking forward for someone to reply on this topic. Is there no documentation available about this, if so Oracle/Sun needs to submit one.

Thanks,
          • 2. Re: ILOM bootmode script property for problem resolution
            Hi;

¿Have you give a try to the Integrated Lights Out Manager (ILOM) Administration Guide? ¿Which ILOM version are you using?

Cheers. </SQ>
            • 3. Re: ILOM bootmode script property for problem resolution
              I am using ILOM 3.0 version. Yes indeed I am using ILOM to administer sun server, in my case sun t3.
              if you type show /HOST/bootmode it would print the properties and script is one of them.
              I want to understand full documentation on how to use this property and what kind of scripts I could write to execute the script at OBP prompt eventually.

thanks,
              • 4. Re: ILOM bootmode script property for problem resolution
                rukbat
                Please go read Sergio's first reply again, and then go gather whatever ILOM documentation you may need to learn its functionality and limitations.

... as for your other interest in eventually doing scripting at OBP?
                Openboot prompt commands execution
                That isn't going to happen. OBP doesn't have that capability. All of its functions are crammed onto a PROM and that environment is severely limited.
                • 5. Re: ILOM bootmode script property for problem resolution
                  Thanks for the reply. Trust me, I have done enough read onthe ilom administration documentation. I understand the limitations on the OBP.
                  My real question is where could I find details on ilom /host/bootmode script property and how to use the full potential of this property for problem resolutions.

Thanks,
                  • 6. Re: ILOM bootmode script property for problem resolution
                    You can use the boot mode (bootmode) properties to specify how ILOM handles booting. This ability is useful to override particular OpenBoot or LDoms settings that might be incorrect, to set up OpenBoot variables using a script, or similar tasks.

For example, if the OpenBoot settings have become corrupt, you can set the bootmode state property to reset_nvram then reset the server to its factory default OpenBoot settings.

Service personnel might instruct you to use the bootmode script property for problem resolution. The full extent of script capabilities are not documented and exist primarily for debugging.

At the -> prompt, type:

-> set /HOST/bootmode script=value

where script controls the host server OpenBoot PROM firmware method of booting. script does not affect the current /HOST/bootmode setting. value can be up to 64 bytes in length. You can specify a /HOST/bootmode setting and set the script within the same command.

For example:

-> set /HOST/bootmode state=reset_nvram script="setenv diag-switch? true"

After the server resets, variables and the bootmode reset_nvram state will result in the OpenBoot variables being reset to defaults, then the script will be read setting the variable diag-switch? to the user-requested value of true.

Check here: http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/SPARCE/manuals/sparc-t5e/t5440-ilom3.0-spl-en-01.pdf

BTW, as Rukbat said, you will not be able to run two commands at OBP. This is forth language and will be impossible to do that.!

Cheers. </SQ>
                    • 7. Re: ILOM bootmode script property for problem resolution
                      Thanks for the reply.
                      The text you posted is exactly the same information I have with me. I wanted more like - the script property taking more than one command.
                      Your reply indicated it is impossible.
                      I will stop looking for details and documentation on using bootmode script property.

thanks,