This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2012 3:26 AM by 908059 RSS

Java certification question

912049 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have learning material for two modules:

(a) Sun Java 2 Developer SCJD CX-310-252A/CX-310-027, and
(b) Java 2 5.0 Programmer Certification 310-055.

I know that these kind of exams were organized by the Sun Microsystems, Inc., which was bought by Oracle in 2010. So my questions are:

1. What are the exact names and numbers for the two exams above, that Oracle gave them? On the Oracle website
(
http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=42&p_org_id=28&lang=US
)
I was only able to find the available Java exams starting with "1Z0" or "1Z1".

2. Are the old (Sun) and new (Oracle) exams exactly the same, i.e., is the material that I have is sufficient to pass the new exams?

Thank you in advance.
  • 1. Re: Java certification question
    rp0428 Guru
    The material is the same but the course numbering was unified.

Good luck with your certification!
  • 2. Re: Java certification question
    912049 Newbie
    Thanks for a reply!

So, if I wanted to book exams, what are Oracle equivalents of those two modules? Searching in the list of available exams, it looks like

(a) for Sun Java 2 Developer SCJD CX-310-252A/CX-310-027 -
    Java Standard Edition 6 Developer Certified Master Assignment (Step 1 of 2) 1Z0-855
    and Java Standard Edition 6 Developer Certified Master Essay Exam (Step 2 of 2) 1Z0-856

(b) and for Java 2 5.0 Programmer Certification 310-055 -
    Java Standard Edition 5 Programmer Certified Professional Exam 1Z0-853.

Is that correct?
    Also, can it be, that passing an exam is not enough to get a certification? From what I understand from searching, it is also necessary to attend an "instructor-led in-class" course, which cost around £1500 - is it true? Thanks.
  • 3. Re: Java certification question
    908059 Newbie
    k841 wrote:
    Is that correct?
    Yes, that's correct.

Also, can it be, that passing an exam is not enough to get a certification? From what I understand from searching, it is also necessary to attend an "instructor-led in-class" course, which cost around £1500 - is it true? Thanks.
    Passing the exam is enough.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points