8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2012 9:09 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Java 1.7 for Mac Release Date?

When is Java 1.7 for the Mac going to be released? Is there even a current estimate? I keep watching the Mac OS X Port Project Status page, but that is hardly ever updated, and when it is updated it doesn't appear that any progress is being made.

Most of our development is on Macs, so Java 1.7 is not useful to me until there is a production-level port.

2012? 2013?
        • 1. Re: Java 1.7 for Mac Release Date?
          gimbal2
          You can bet that development is slow because of legal disputes between Apple and Oracle happening behind the scenes. Those are long winding processes that can hold up projects for months or even years. For example I can imagine the topic of distributing Java 7 runtimes; normally that would happen through OS updates. How will it be done now?

Say that eventually development picks up momentum and Java 7 is released for the Mac - do you really expect to be able to use it? I would like you to consider the following.

- the first three releases are going to be quite buggy (yes, that is predictable)
          - it is going to take a while before Java runtimes make their way to macs around the world.

So even if Java 7 is released tomorrow, it won't help you much for quite some time I'll be willing to bet.
          • 2. Re: Java 1.7 for Mac Release Date?
            gimbal2 wrote:
            You can bet that development is slow because of legal disputes between Apple and Oracle happening behind the scenes. Those are long winding processes that can hold up projects for months or even years. For example I can imagine the topic of distributing Java 7 runtimes; normally that would happen through OS updates. How will it be done now?

Say that eventually development picks up momentum and Java 7 is released for the Mac - do you really expect to be able to use it? I would like you to consider the following.

- the first three releases are going to be quite buggy (yes, that is predictable)
            - it is going to take a while before Java runtimes make their way to macs around the world.
            The software that we write runs on Linux machines, not on client machines. So we can run Java 7 reliably on our servers. Our developers primarily use Macs. So we can install Java 7 on our Macs just as soon as it is released and viable.

In the meantime, the lack of progress and, worse, the lack of communication is not giving us a warm fuzzy feeling. Is the Mac a supported platform or not?
            • 3. Re: Java 1.7 for Mac Release Date?
              OK, Oracle, I finally get it. Based on your lack of response here, your complete lack of all communication about the release date for the OS/X port of Java 7 -- heck, you won't even tell us when you'll tell us the release date --, the fact that you won't answer that same question on the OTN Developer day, you've effectively answered the question.

Java on OS/X is basically dead, so it is time for us Mac folks to find a different language.
              • 4. Re: Java 1.7 for Mac Release Date?
                DrClap
                You didn't seriously expect that Oracle would make a public announcement of such a thing in the "New to Java" forum, did you?

Anyway one of my e-mail newsletters pointed me to this InfoWorld article which claims that Oracle's 2-year plan for Java and says
                This incremental upgrade for Java Platform, Standard Edition 7, released in mid-January, features a Mac OS X port for developers.
                That's just a news report and not a press release from Oracle, but it sounds like you ought to check it out.

I would agree with you that OS/X is a second-class citizen as far as Java releases are concerned. I haven't heard a thing about when we'll be getting Java 7 on our IBM i machines either.
                • 5. Re: Java 1.7 for Mac Release Date?
                  darrylburke
                  jnedzel wrote:
                  OK, Oracle, I finally get it. Based on your lack of response here, your complete lack of all communication about the release date for the OS/X port of Java 7 -- heck, you won't even tell us when you'll tell us the release date --, the fact that you won't answer that same question on the OTN Developer day, you've effectively answered the question.

Java on OS/X is basically dead, so it is time for us Mac folks to find a different language.
                  Are you joking or are you really unaware that these forums aren't frequented by Oracle employees?

db
                  • 6. Re: Java 1.7 for Mac Release Date?
                    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias
                    jnedzel wrote:
                    When is Java 1.7 for the Mac going to be released? Is there even a current estimate? I keep watching the Mac OS X Port Project Status page, but that is hardly ever updated, and when it is updated it doesn't appear that any progress is being made.
                    Sun never did Java for OS-X. Oracle never did it either.

Apple did Java for OS-X up until some minor version of 1.6.
                    Apple no longer does that. Apple released the source into the open source community.

The page you referenced is an open source/freeware/contributor. Any updates from that source will not come from Apple and I would be surprised if Oracle released anything via that source either.

Per the other reply Oracle might provide support for it in the future.
                    • 7. Re: Java 1.7 for Mac Release Date?
                      jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias
                      jnedzel wrote:

As noted in my other reply your ire is directed at the wrong source. Apple is the one that no longer supports it.

The only platforms supported directly by Sun/Oracle are Windows, Solaris and Linux. And actually linux is a late arrival on the scene. I know HPUX uses a direct port of the Sun code, but it was still produced by HP and I am rather certain IBM is the same way although IBM might mess around a bit more with the internals.

As for a different language, Objective-C beckons, so you might want to start converting everything to that.
                      • 8. Re: Java 1.7 for Mac Release Date?
                        gimbal2
                        The JDK for the Mac, supported by Oracle, will be released around the summer this year. The public runtime will follow later.

https://blogs.oracle.com/javaone/entry/moving_java_forward_java_strategy

Without a runtime no JavaFX on the Mac. It will be nice to have a more unified Java runtime for the three important platforms finally.