This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2012 3:59 PM by 912406 RSS

Upgrade for Sun Ultra 60 without DVD?

912406 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
20 January 2012

Greetings,

I have a Sun Ultra 60 (SUNW, UltraSPARC-II, 64-bit) currently running Solaris 9. The Ultra 60 was listed on the HCL for the Solaris 11 Express release last year, so I assumed it would run Solaris 11. But having downloaded Solaris 11 11/11 and burned it to CD, I get the error message:

Error: 'SUNW, UltraSPARC-II' is not supported by this release of Solaris. Program terminated.

Problem #1: The Solaris 11 Express release, which might work, is no longer available. Problem #2: The Solaris 10 8/11 release, which should certainly work, is available only on DVD or as an .iso image to be burned to DVD. (Too large for a CD, I presume.) The machine has neither a DVD reader nor burner, and obtaining one looks like a budget buster, even assuming I could find a driver for it for Solaris 9. So: Is there a way to get a version of Solaris 11 which will run on the Ultra 60, or a version of Solaris 10 on multiple CD's, or some other work-around? It is an odd situation that Oracle has a product which I wish to buy, but cannot find a form in which to sell it to me.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,
Ian H. Redmount
  • 1. Re: Upgrade for Sun Ultra 60 without DVD?
    alan.pae Journeyer
    The usual method for this situation would be to setup a Jumpstart server and just do it over the network.

alan
  • 2. Re: Upgrade for Sun Ultra 60 without DVD?
    912406 Newbie
    20 January 2012

Dear Mr. Pae,

Thank you for your swift response to my inquiry. Unfortunately, it does not address my problem. I apologize for not explaining the situation more clearly. If I had a machine capable of performing as a JumpStart server, I'd be done: I'd have an upgraded system. The Ultra 60 in question stands alone. Therefore, I need a source for Solaris 10 (8/11) or perhaps Solaris 11 Express which can be burned to several CDs or downloaded to disk. Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Sincerely,
    Ian H. Redmount
  • 3. Re: Upgrade for Sun Ultra 60 without DVD?
    abrante Pro
    Hmm, any chance you could use live upgrade?

//Magnus
  • 4. Re: Upgrade for Sun Ultra 60 without DVD?
    912406 Newbie
    23 January 2012

Dear Mr. Magnus,

Thank you for your reply. No, Live Upgrade does not address my problem:

1) I do not have the Live Update software on this machine. Where would I get it?

2) Live Upgrade still requires a source from which to update the mirror image of the boot environment it produces. The Oracle White Paper on the subject mentions the Solaris 10 DVD. If I could read the DVD, or if I had another source of Solaris 10, I would have no problem to begin with.

We have to break out of the circular reasoning here. So the question remains: Where or how do I get a non-DVD form of the Solaris 10 operating system?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Sincerely,
    Ian H. Redmount
  • 5. Re: Upgrade for Sun Ultra 60 without DVD?
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    Solaris 10 is not available in CD format anymore. It's DVD or nothing as far as physical media. Live upgrade might be an option; you could mount the DVD on another system and mount it over the network. Explaining the process would be too lengthy to do here. Live Upgrade seems pretty daunting until you've done it once.
  • 6. Re: Upgrade for Sun Ultra 60 without DVD?
    912406 Newbie
    24 January 2012

Dear Bob,

Thanks for your response, which seems to be the consensus on the matter. But wouldn't it have made sense to keep a few copies on alternative media on hand? CDs? Tape cartridge? Hollerith cards?

As I mentioned to other responders, use of another system is not an option here: If I had one, I'd be done. And this machine does not sport Live Upgrade software. It appears that cutting the Gordian Knot--springing for a DVD drive--may be the solution here.

Thanks again, all, for your advice.

Sincerely,
    Ian H. Redmount
  • 7. Re: Upgrade for Sun Ultra 60 without DVD?
    abrante Pro
    Well, you can still download the DVD image onto your Ultra 60 then mount the DVD-iso-image using lofs, i.e.

lofiadm -a /path/to/dvd_image.iso

mount -o ro -F hsfs /dev/lofi/X /mnt

then you can install the live upgrade software from /mnt and later use the live upgrade functionality with /mnt as the install image. If you have a slice/disk that you can use (for the upgrade) that is.

.7/M.

Edited by: abrante on Jan 25, 2012 10:25 AM
  • 8. Re: Upgrade for Sun Ultra 60 without DVD?
    Alan_S Explorer
    909403 wrote:
    24 January 2012

Dear Bob,

Thanks for your response, which seems to be the consensus on the matter. But wouldn't it have made sense to keep a few copies on alternative media on hand? CDs? Tape cartridge? Hollerith cards?
    There is only one image produced for Solaris 10 8/11, and it is an ISO file that is too large to fit onto a CD. So there is no alternative media for this release.

-- Alan
  • 9. Re: Upgrade for Sun Ultra 60 without DVD?
    912406 Newbie
    25 January 2012

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your further responses to my query. Mr. Magnus, your scheme looks like it just might work. I gather lofi is something like the inverse of mkisofs. (I apologize for my ignorance. My approach to system administration is quantum-mechanical: Software comes into existence when I use it.) If you hear a large explosion coming from the direction of St. Louis, you will know all has not gone as expected. 8-)

Alan, thanks for the info. I suspected something like that. It still seems a bit risky, though, to rely on only one medium.

Many thanks again for your help.

Sincerely,
    Ian H. Redmount

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points