This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 Previous Next 52 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2012 10:27 AM by 898236 Go to original post RSS
  • 45. Re: how to remotely access to oracle database XE ?
    898236 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    I've got far better : a connection at logmein to a remote computer.

I'm now downloading the client.
    I'm not sure I will stay for a long time if there is an error.

I've got an other computer in the house so I will also try from inside the local network.

answer in a few minutes!
  • 46. Re: how to remotely access to oracle database XE ?
    orafad Oracle ACE
    lolveley wrote:
    I've got far better : ...
    Great! I'll be waiting ;)
  • 47. Re: how to remotely access to oracle database XE ?
    898236 Newbie
    well, bad news.

the windows client had an installation error, which I didn't see before it was hidden by another window.

let's go sleeping, we will see it later.

see U soon!
  • 48. Re: how to remotely access to oracle database XE ?
    898236 Newbie
    in the case you are still behind your computer, it worked!

I didn't found tnsping, but I found in the remote computer sqlplus, installed before the error of the installer.
    so I launched : sqlplus lolveley/xxx@lolveley.<site at dyndns>.org/XE and I succeeded in connecting!
    I was able to launch a select statement.

but I worry about one thing : sqlplus uses the HTTP connection or the FTP connection?
  • 49. Re: how to remotely access to oracle database XE ?
    orafad Oracle ACE
    lolveley wrote:
    in the case you are still behind your computer, it worked!
    Wonderful!

>
    but I worry about one thing : sqlplus uses the HTTP connection or the FTP connection?
    Not sure I get the question, but Sqlplus (or any Oracle Database client / server) uses its own protocols, commonly referred to as Oracle Net or TNS.

See: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/network.112/e10836/layers.htm
  • 50. Re: how to remotely access to oracle database XE ?
    898236 Newbie
    some news:

I succeeded in connecting to my computer from a remote one, via a java program.
    so officially, it works.
    the issue for my computer comes from the use of both dyndns and the oracle server .

I will try with an other computer of my LAN later, maybe.

what I wanted to say in my last post is that there is a http management system (apex) and I fear that sqlplus could use the same protocol, ie a java program could not connect even if sqlplus can.

thank you very much.

NB I will have to read a new time this thread of the forum because I wonder what have we really done to make it works? remove listener.ora / lsnrctl stop / lsnrctl start?

olivier
  • 51. Re: how to remotely access to oracle database XE ?
    orafad Oracle ACE
    lolveley wrote:
    what I wanted to say in my last post is that there is a http management system (apex) and I fear that sqlplus could use the same protocol, ie a java program could not connect even if sqlplus can.
    Ah, no, Sqlplus uses standard Oracle Net (port 1521, so to speak). The java based program, depending on its driver type, likely uses thin jdbc and java net implementation or thick jdbc and OCI i.e. Oracle Net. In the first post there's "jdbc:orac:e:thin", so looks like Thin driver (using the same port).

Essentially you are correct - connecting with sqlplus is no guarantee that a different program or client may connect, as a different type of connection method could be used (or difference in configuration, versions, etc. etc.). You need to know what and why you are testing.

>
    NB I will have to read a new time this thread of the forum because I wonder what have we really done to make it works?
    I would have to do the same to answer that question.

But to try to sum it up (without re-tracing steps):
    - made sure the listener accepted remote connections by listening on other than loopback interface
    - enabled remote XDB (http) connections - however not likely relvant for the java program mentioned in op
    - configured firewalls' rules
    - verified and corrected various networking configuration, both on the linux host and elsewhere (the latter not so much in this thread)

Maybe some secondary or smaller issues, not really related to setting up remote connectivity.

Edited by: orafad on Feb 2, 2012 1:15 PM

Edited by: orafad on Feb 2, 2012 1:22 PM
  • 52. Re: how to remotely access to oracle database XE ?
    898236 Newbie
    problem resolved
1 2 3 4 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points