This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 1, 2012 3:49 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Applet on JRE 7  throws access issue

914578 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I have an applet that tries to access some files on the local folder of client machine. This works fine for all versions of JRE 1.6 but as I switch to JRE 1.7.0 or 1.7.1 I am getting below problems.
Error 1.) security: The certificate has been expired, need to check timestamping info{this error only  appear with jre7 and does not come for jre6}
Error 2.) After above their is also below error
java.security.AccessControlException: access denied ("java.io.FilePermission" "C:\Documents and Settings\usr021\reflectionweb\cache" "read")

Note- For my project build it has warning during compile, says jars are unsigned, because certificate is exipired.
MY QUESTIONS -
Q1.>If certificate is expired then why it does not show the "Error 1" for JRE6, why only for JRE7
Q2.> I know if certificate is exipired(i.e jars are unsign) so it should show Error-1 but it is not showing for JRE6
Q3.> Why the "Error 2" is coming only for JRE7, if the access is denied it has to be for JRE6 as well.
  • 1. Re: Applet on JRE 7  throws access issue
    gimbal2 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    user11081421 wrote:
    Hi All,

I have an applet that tries to access some files on the local folder of client machine. This works fine for all versions of JRE 1.6 but as I switch to JRE 1.7.0 or 1.7.1 I am getting below problems.
    Better stick to the regular naming scheme. There is Java 7, Java 7 update 1 and there is also a Java 7 update 2 in case you missed it. The short way to refer to them is Java 7u1, Java 7u2, etc.
    Error 1.) security: The certificate has been expired, need to check timestamping info{this error only  appear with jre7 and does not come for jre6}
    Error 2.) After above their is also below error
    java.security.AccessControlException: access denied ("java.io.FilePermission" "C:\Documents and Settings\usr021\reflectionweb\cache" "read")

Note- For my project build it has warning during compile, says jars are unsigned, because certificate is exipired.
    MY QUESTIONS -
    Q1.>If certificate is expired then why it does not show the "Error 1" for JRE6, why only for JRE7
    Because JRE7 apparently has stronger certificate restrictions.
    Q2.> I know if certificate is exipired(i.e jars are unsign) so it should show Error-1 but it is not showing for JRE6
    Isn't this basically the same as Q1, but in reverse?
    Q3.> Why the "Error 2" is coming only for JRE7, if the access is denied it has to be for JRE6 as well.
    Easiest way to reason that: because JRE6 does not use this cache.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points