1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 3, 2012 9:56 AM by Udo

What is the advantage of apex listener

Hi all,

I am contented with the performance of our apex whose listener is defaulting to the database listener.
      Why should I migrate it to apex listener? Any plus factor?

Thanks a lot,
        • 1. Re: What is the advantage of apex listener
          Udo
          Hi,

I'm not sure I understand your question completely:
          our apex whose listener is defaulting to the database listener.
          What do you mean exactly? I guess you use the Embedded PL/SQL Gateway (EPG), hosted by the XDB HTTP Server that has its own endpoint in your database listener, right?
          Why should I migrate it to apex listener? Any plus factor?
          Well, that depends on what you are doing with your APEX. APEX Listener is a web server alternative to your EPG or to the Oracle HTTP Server (OHS) that can host your APEX through mod_plsql.
          In general, it is a good idea to separate the web frontend (web server for APEX) from your backend (database) for several reasons. The most important ones would be security and performance issues. On the other hand, adding an additional component to your scenario increases complexity and needs additional configuration and resources.
          In your case, it seems you didn't have a need to separate the web server from database, as you could have done this with OHS before.
          A second aspect is functionality available in APEX Listener you don't have in EPG, e.g. the ability to define Resource Templates, especially useful for providing web services without much additional overhead. See [url http://cdivilly.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/apex-listener-resource-templates/]Colm`s Blog for a nice example on that use case.

If I misunderstood your question, please provide some more detailed information.

Thanks,

Udo