8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2012 4:40 PM by bobthesungeek76036 RSS

Migrating disk between hardware

I've a E420R running Solaris 10 and a spare Sun Fire V440. Can I shutdown the E420R, pull out the disk, pop it into the Sun Fire V440 and perform a "boot -r"? I'm using ZFS for the OS.

• 1. Re: Migrating disk between hardware
          Ace142 wrote:
          I've a E420R running Solaris 10 and a spare Sun Fire V440. Can I shutdown the E420R, pull out the disk, pop it into the Sun Fire V440 and perform a "boot -r"? I'm using ZFS for the OS.

The disk technologies are completely different.
          The rear connectors of the drives are different.

(I don't even want to go near the fact that though both are sun4u boxes, they are light years different in systemboard technologies.)

It would be a waste of time to even try, but it's your time that you can choose to spend on such an exercise.
          • 2. Re: Migrating disk between hardware
            Ace142 wrote:

I concur with rukbat, but if you want to go that route and you have an appropriate external scsi equipment (eg sun 611 and approrpiate lead or an appropriate jbod) you may be able to try. You may need to have the firmware an the v440 patched to a certain level and you may need to be conversant with the OBP command prompt. You may not get optimal disk speed doing this.

... or i am dreaming of a heath robinison fry up with the top off and a couple of dodgy connectors ..... i am sure there is a scsi bus in there somewhere. Please dont do this ... things would go wrong nd you might sue me if you didnt electrocute yourself.

I had better shutup.
            • 3. Re: Migrating disk between hardware
              I don't understand these replies. Both the E420R and the SF V440 use SCA-2 connectors for their internal drives. The E220R has two internal drive ports while the SF V440 has 4 drive ports.

There's no physical reason that a drive from the E220R wouldn't work in a SF V440 as well as the reverse. An Ultra-4 SCSI drive from the V440 will just run at a slower rate in the E220R.

I'll test it out myself tomorrow on some spare hardware.

Page 73 Sun Enterprise 420R Server Owner's Guide

The Sun Enterprise 420R server supports up to two internal, hot-pluggable
              UltraSCSI disk drives. Drives are 3.5-inches wide and 1-inch high (8.89-cm x 2.54-cm).

The drives are supported by the 40-Mbyte per second UltraSCSI interface on the
              systems main logic board. Both drives plug in to the two-disk backplane, which
              mounts to the back of the system's disk cage

Page 252 of the Sun Enterprise 420R Server Service Manual

The internal SCSI subassembly consists of two cable assemblies and one SCSI card.
              The SCSI subassembly is attached to the main logic board using an insulation
              displacement connector (IDC) receptacle attached to an 80-conductor cable. The IDC
              receptacle mates with a right-angle plug that is mounted on the main logic board.
              The 80-conductor cable attaches on the other end to the SCSI backplane card with
              another IDC connector. The SCSI backplane card incorporates two SCA-2 connectors
              for mounting the hard drives, a power connector to supply 5-VDC and 12- VDC
              power to the hard drives, and two green right-angle LEDs.

Page 89 Sun Fire V440 Server Administration Guide

The Sun Fire V440 server includes a single Ultra-4 SCSI backplane with connections
              for up to four internal hard disk drives, all of which are hot-pluggable.
              The Ultra-4 SCSI backplane accepts four, low-profile (1.0-inch, 2.54-cm), UltraSCSI
              hard disk drives capable of up to 320-Mbyte per second throughput. Each hard disk
              drive is connected to the backplane via a standard 80-pin single connector
              attachment (SCA) interface. Incorporating all power and signal connections into a
              single connector, SCA technology makes it easy to add or remove hard disk drives
              from the system. Disks using SCA connectors provide better serviceability than disks
              using other types of connectors.
              • 4. Re: Migrating disk between hardware
                The connector might be the same but electrical they are different. The V440 uses a low-voltage differential interface and the E420R is a single-ended interface.
                • 5. Re: Migrating disk between hardware
                  You may be correct, but it doesn't prevent moving drives between the two systems. LVD and SE are compatible.

In a paragraph above it was noted that a multimode LVD device is compatible with a SE SCSI bus because the interface will switch from LVD to SE when it is connected to the SE bus. It works the other way also. If you have a multimode LVD bus and you connect a SE peripheral to it, the entire bus will switch to the SE mode. The data throughput to all LVD devices will be cut at least in half and there will be a drastic reduction in the maximum allowable SCSI cable length. We have yet to see an LVD SCSI host adapter or peripheral device that is not multimode LVD, but I am sure they exist somewhere, so be sure to check the SCSI device before you buy it and not just assume it is multimode LVD.
                  • 6. Re: Migrating disk between hardware
                    912717 wrote:
                    . LVD and SE are compatible.

Not necessarilty correct.
                    Generic controllers and generic disks may function when relocated to a configuration they weren't originally intended to be in, but device firmware can limit specific functionality. Disk drives with Sun/Oracle firmware in particular have often been deliberately set to NOT be multi-mode drives.

Let's all just wait for the original poster. Let's see if ther return to report their experiment with actually trying such a lash-up of their equipment. Speculation based upon generalized descriptions of some technology doesn't validate anything.
                    • 7. Re: Migrating disk between hardware
                      My question seems to have veered from the OS to the physical hardware so let me share my experience. Over the past 5 years I've never had an issue using older SCSI drives from a SUN Ultra Sparc 5, E220, E440, SF V220 etc. in a newer system nor a newer drive in an older system. These are all SUN branded drives from various Vendors: Seagate, Fujitsu, Quantum.

As to rukbat's assertion that SUN firmware may disable compatibility, which would be a break from ANSI SCSI standards, I've never experienced that but it's something worth keeping in the back of my mind. As to LDV and SE compatibility it's an ANSI standard. Mixing them is in no way a "lash-up", it's completely acceptable.

So just to check I pulled the oldest drive I had in the storage closet, inserted it into the internal drive bay of my SF V440 and used Jumpstart to pop on Solaris 10 (SUNWCreq).

The drive was a 2.1GB Quantum Labeled VK22J051, 05/28/01.

minuteman-:/root # uname -a
                      SunOS minuteman 5.10 Generic_118833-33 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440

minuteman-:/root # iostat -E
                      Vendor: QUANTUM Product: VK2275J SUN2.1G Revision: 8600 Serial No: 9708630416
                      Size: 2.13GB <2127708160 bytes>
                      Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
                      Illegal Request: 1 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

Same result w/ a SE drive I pulled out of my decommissioned StorEDGE D1000. Installs and operates just fine.

Label on the physical drive: MAB3091SC Fujitsu

Parts Vendor on the web:
                      Fujitsu MAB3091SC (9.1GB) 3 1/2" 7200 RPM Single Ended Ultra-1 SCSI (p/n 370-3413)
                      Sun Sparc 5, 20 Ultra 1, 2, E450
                      • 8. Re: Migrating disk between hardware
                        Assuming the disks will function, and the Solaris cluster is either entire distribution or entire distribution +OEM, then I would think that you should be able to accomplish what you desire.  Both are UltraSPARC-based sun4u systems.  You more than likely will need to rebuild the device tree.  You might want to Google "rebuild path_to_inst solaris" for instructions.  Worse-case is you boot off DVD (after disk swap) and do an in-place upgrade of Solaris and for sure you would have the right platform binaries.