This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2012 6:01 AM by sshdba RSS

Reinstalling Oracle 11gR2 RAC Grid Problem - ASM Disks Group

user8860348 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Folks,

Hello.

I am installing Oracle 11gR2 RAC using 2 Virtual Machines (rac1 and rac2 whose OS are Oracle Linux 5.6) in VMPlayer.

I have been installing Grid Infrastructure using runInstaller in the first VM rac1 from step 1 to step 9 of 10.

On the step 9 of 10 in the Wizard, accidentally, I touch the Mouse, and the Wizard is gone.

The directory for installing Grid in the 2 VMs is the same: /u01

In order to make sure everything is correct, I delete entire directory /u01 in the 2 VMs and install Grid in rac1 again.

I have understood it's not the right way to delete /u01. The right way is to follow the tutorial
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e22489/rem_orcl.htm#CBHEFHAC

But I have deleted /u01 and need to fix one by one. I install Grid again and get the error message on step 5 of 9 as follows:

[INS - 30516] Please specify unique disk groups.
[INS-3050] Empty ASM disk group.
Cause - Installer has detected the disk group name provided already exists on the system.
Action - Specify different disk group.

In Wizard, the previous Disk Group name is "DATA" and its Candidate disks (5 ASMDISKs) are gone. I try to use a different name "DATA2", but no ASMDISKs come up under "Candidate disks". For "ALL Disks", all ASMDISKs cannot be selected.

I want to use the same ASM disk group "DATA" and don't want to create a new disk group.

My question is:

How to have the previous ASM disks and its group "DATA" come up under "Candidate Disks" so that can use it again ?

Thanks.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points