This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2012 7:35 PM by redologger RSS

trying to understand a crontab job for my database export and reloading

redologger Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
FILE=ENTP_`date "+%d%m%y"`.dmp.Z
LOG=ENTP_`date "+%d%m%y"`.log
rm -f /tmp/exp_pipe
*/sbin/mknod /tmp/exp_pipe p*compress < /tmp/exp_pipe > $FILE | echo $PASS | exp ben@XEPROD tables=TBL_ABCD,TBL_EFGH,TBL_IJKLM_QWER triggers=n direct=y *file=/tmp/exp_pipe* log=$LOG
rm -f /tmp/exp_pipe
i don't understand the bold parts.

what i know from /sbin is, anything that is put within there is for root command only. So my thinking, the above job can only executed in root enviroment.

the file part , what i understand is oracle exp / imp command and normally the file= will be like file=some.dmp . So now it become /tmp/exp_pipe which causes much confusion. Cos according to the declare variable, it should be file=$FILE .
  • 1. Re: trying to understand a crontab job for my database export and reloading
    BryanWood Explorer
    flaskvacuum wrote:
    FILE=ENTP_`date "+%d%m%y"`.dmp.Z
    LOG=ENTP_`date "+%d%m%y"`.log
    rm -f /tmp/exp_pipe
    */sbin/mknod /tmp/exp_pipe p*compress < /tmp/exp_pipe > $FILE | echo $PASS | exp ben@XEPROD tables=TBL_ABCD,TBL_EFGH,TBL_IJKLM_QWER triggers=n direct=y *file=/tmp/exp_pipe* log=$LOG
    rm -f /tmp/exp_pipe
    i don't understand the bold parts.
    The parts you've marked are simply formatting options for the date command:
    # date
    Tue Feb  7 17:26:49 PST 2012
    # date '+%d'
    # date '+%m'
    # date '+%y'
    # date '+%d%m%y'
    #
    The date command, along with its formatting options, is wrapped in backticks. This will fork a shell to run the subcommand, and substitute the shell's output (the output of the date command) into the containing string. That containing string is defining a variable. Taking the first example:
    # echo $FILE

# FILE=ENTP_`date "+%d%m%y"`.dmp.Z
    # echo $FILE
    ENTP_070212.dmp.Z
    #
    >
    what i know from /sbin is, anything that is put within there is for root command only. So my thinking, the above job can only executed in root enviroment.
    There are a number of utilities in /sbin that can be run as normal users, perhaps with a more restricted impact. That subdirectory just contains things that a normal user doesn't regularly need to have on their search path ($PATH).
    the file part , what i understand is oracle exp / imp command and normally the file= will be like file=some.dmp . So now it become /tmp/exp_pipe which causes much confusion. Cos according to the declare variable, it should be file=$FILE.
    The named pipe being used in your example is to compress the output, thereby reducing disk space. Breaking the example down into a more simplistic example:
    bryan$ FILE=ENTP_`date "+%d%m%y"`.test.out.Z
    bryan$ echo $FILE
    ENTP_070212.test.out.Z
    bryan$ rm -f /tmp/exp_pipe
    bryan$ mknod /tmp/exp_pipe p
    bryan$ compress < /tmp/exp_pipe > $FILE | echo this is a simple test > /tmp/exp_pipe
    bryan$ ls -la $FILE
    -rw-rw-r--. 1 bryan bryan 27 Feb  7 17:46 ENTP_070212.test.out.Z
    bryan$ file ENTP_070212.test.out.Z
    ENTP_070212.test.out.Z: compress'd data 16 bits
    bryan$ zcat ENTP_070212.test.out.Z |more
    this is a simple test
    bryan$
    The mknod creates the pipe, compress reads FROM the pipe, and writes the compressed output TO $FILE. You could have put compress in the background with an ampersand, but simply suffixing it with a pipe has the same effect given that when "exp" is finished writing to the pipe (signaled by EOF), compress would return anyway. The end result is something like this:

exp command file=pipe_file --> compress reading FROM the pipe_file --> $FILE which is a *.Z file indicating it is compressed output.

Best Regards,
    Bryan Wood
  • 2. Re: trying to understand a crontab job for my database export and reloading
    redologger Newbie
    Thank you so much for the details explanation.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points