10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2012 11:59 PM by Catch-22 RSS

Oracle Linux 6.2 installation

xsyang
      would like to install Oracle 6.2 in our company's older X86 server (HP Proliant DL380 G4), i have some questions on that:

1) There is only CD ROM for this Server, instead DVD ROM, but the software downloaded is only DVD format. How ?
      2) I have no idea whether 32bit or 64bit? i have no idea download 32bit or 64bit version Linux ?

hope guru here can guide me, Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Oracle Linux 6.2 installation
          tbrinkmann
          Hi,
          do you have an ILO board in your HP server ? If yes you can mount DVD drives over the network.

...64 bit is lets say state of the art :-) and your HP Server has a 64bit CPU so yes install 64bit.

*T                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
          • 2. Re: Oracle Linux 6.2 installation
            xsyang
            yes, there is ILO borad on the HP server,

can give some reference for mounting DVD drives over the network.

i will follow what you said, whether the CPU is 64bit , i am still not sure, maybe need to config bio parametre. Thanks!
            • 3. Re: Oracle Linux 6.2 installation
              tbrinkmann
              Re,
              so our HP Server ilo boards have a IP-Address use an Interner browser to connect throw the ilo-board an there is a remode console where you can mount your local drive.

1. Connect ILO-Board throw network
              2. DHCP the Ip-Address or configure in ILO bios.

*T                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
              • 4. Re: Oracle Linux 6.2 installation
                Catch-22
                The HP support side shows a Linux certification matrix at: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/hplinuxcert.html

From there you can also download the necessary drivers and instructions or use HP smartstart CD which prepares the system for the OS you need to install. Oracle Enterprise Linux is binary compatible with RHEL, but uses the Oracle UEK kernel by default. You can switch at boot menu.

Also interesting should be Red Hat Enterprise Linux Technical Exceptions at:
                http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/supportmatrix/rhel/exceptions/rhel-exceptions.html

Note that currently no Oracle Database products are supported under Oracle Linux 6 yet. If you plan to install Oracle database, use the latest 5.7 instead. And yes, install 64-bit. 32-bit is obsolete.
                • 5. Re: Oracle Linux 6.2 installation
                  xsyang
                  Dude,

"Note that currently no Oracle Database products are supported under Oracle Linux 6 yet", Is this statement still availabe?

also, "the weblogic server product running with ADF runtime" can be supported under Oracle Linux 6.3? if not, which the latest version can be supported? Thanks a lot!!!!

Rgds!

Edited by: xsyang on Jul 30, 2012 12:04 AM
                  • 6. Re: Oracle Linux 6.2 installation
                    Catch-22
                    No, Oracle 11g database products are supported, but depending on what you install you may need access to Oracle support to download the latest certified versions, e.g. 11.2.0.3.

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/1563775

If you install Oracle 11g database, you can use the "oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall" package which is supplied by OL 6.3 distribution media or can be setup from Oracle public Yum.
                    • 7. Re: Oracle Linux 6.2 installation
                      xsyang
                      hi, Dude, Thanks a lot for your kind answer. Can i confirm the Oracle Database 11g -11.2.3 is supported in OL6.3?

how about weblogic 10.3.5, supported by OL6.3 too?

Rgds!
                      • 8. Re: Oracle Linux 6.2 installation
                        Catch-22
                        For support and certified information it is always best to check the available documentation:
                        http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/relnotes.112/e23558/toc.htm

+"Starting with Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2.0.3), Oracle Linux 6 is supported"+

Regarding Weblogic, Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 (12.1.1 and later) is certified on 64-bit Oracle Linux 6 with the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel (UEK).

Unless you're doing this just for fun you might also want to check your actual requirement for OL6, because Oracle Linux provides the same latest UEK and UEK2 kernel versions for both, OL5 and OL6, so the kernel version is not necessarily a reason to upgrade.
                        • 9. Re: Oracle Linux 6.2 installation
                          But for using Oracle Database 11gR2 on your Oracle Linux 6 you need to download it from your Support center Only!
                          Kirill Babeyev
                          • 10. Re: Oracle Linux 6.2 installation
                            Catch-22
                            That's correct, 11.2.0.3 is certified for OL6, but that's what the OP is apparently using.

Btw 11.2.0.1, so far, installed and runs fine in my OL6 my test environment. Only for Grid Infrastructure I had to create my own patch before running root.sh to make the Oracle HA Services daemon work with the new "upstart" facility that replaces the previous rc sysinit.