This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2012 12:14 PM by 916003 RSS

How is Java JRE or SDK actually installed in Ubuntu?

916003 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Ive used Java since the 1990s. Its been mostly on windows that has an exe installer; But always get to this difficult part when it comes to installation. Right now under Ubuntu i am installing java runtime again, have done it before but simply cannot figure out what it needs to install. Ive searched documentation and looked for anything that would indicate how Java is installed.

Its almost like an endless loop, reading the online info it says to download and install click here. you download and extract it and it ends up as a folder with lots of files. How to install it? download it again, extract it. again, extract it, maybe one of these times something will indicate how to install it

if anyone could point me towards the explanation or give me some hints, it would be so appreciated!
  • 1. Re: How is Java JRE or SDK actually installed in Ubuntu?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Ubuntu has a package manager doesn't it? You should be able to install Java through that.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

If you cannot figure it out with this document as a starting point, I'm afraid you cannot be helped until you become more experienced with Linux. Joining a Ubuntu community will be your next more logical step, you'll find people that actually have gone through the steps you're going through now. Here you'll find a bunch of cranky Java developers.
  • 2. Re: How is Java JRE or SDK actually installed in Ubuntu?
    916003 Newbie
    No, i had tried the package manager. It does not contain the Oracle Java, it points to 3rd party java packages only. I want the original Sun/Oracle Java JRE installed.

but from the ubuntu link i did find this: https://github.com/flexiondotorg/oab-java6 that explains software that someone wrote that will install Java.

gimbal2 wrote:
    Ubuntu has a package manager doesn't it? You should be able to install Java through that.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

If you cannot figure it out with this document as a starting point, I'm afraid you cannot be helped until you become more experienced with Linux. Joining a Ubuntu community will be your next more logical step, you'll find people that actually have gone through the steps you're going through now. Here you'll find a bunch of cranky Java developers.
    I used to work on device drivers and kernel code for Fortran unix in the 80s, there was no java back then. There was better music than the trash out there these days, why, I can remember when Lawrence Welk used to come on The Nashville Network.....
  • 3. Re: How is Java JRE or SDK actually installed in Ubuntu?
    sabre150 Expert
    If you don't want to use the openjdk that comes with Ubunu then you can download and install one of the Oracle versions. My approach is to download the .tar.gz version and un-tar it into /usr/java. I end up with pretty much every release in this directory and I then have a soft link in /usr/java (I use /usr/java/jdk) to the version I want to use. I then add the jdk bin directory to the PATH in /etc/bash.bashrc

export PATH=/usr/java/jdk/bin:$PATH

If I want to change my default version I just have to change the soft link. If I want a temporary change I either modify the PATH or provide the absolute path to the java and javac executables.

Note - earlier version of the JDK download generated an executable installation script after the un-tar and this had just to be executed.

Edited by: sabre150 on Feb 8, 2012 5:02 PM
  • 4. Re: How is Java JRE or SDK actually installed in Ubuntu?
    gimbal2 Guru
    913000 wrote:
    I used to work on device drivers and kernel code for Fortran unix in the 80s, there was no java back then. There was better music than the trash out there these days, why, I can remember when Lawrence Welk used to come on The Nashville Network.....
    Big respect (I tend to listen to music from the 60's, 70's and 80's myself even if it was mostly before my time). But I stick to my comment, you should join a Ubuntu community and share in the knowledge of your peers :) Perhaps Sabre answered your question but you are likely to run into other "Ubuntuness" stuff.
  • 5. Re: How is Java JRE or SDK actually installed in Ubuntu?
    916003 Newbie
    gimbal2 wrote:
    913000 wrote:
    Big respect (I tend to listen to music from the 60's, 70's and 80's myself even if it was mostly before my time). But I stick to my comment, you should join a Ubuntu community and share in the knowledge of your peers :) Perhaps Sabre answered your question but you are likely to run into other "Ubuntuness" stuff.
    Thanks, it did answer the questions i had. It was sitting there in the folder which apparently is 99% of installation. I must be spoiled with windows running an installer, making sure its all compatible etc. And i did sign up for the ubuntu discussion, thats a great place to get questions answered also.

Yes in the 70s the new music was disco, the theme was dance, have fun, make love, etc; contrasted to the recent kind of music thats monotone talk against a synthesizer talking about violence, drugs and crime, and those "artists" are super rich. I liked MC Hammer when he came along, but he didnt use profanity so they kicked him out...

I think in the original question I had, there was the download site, agree with the terms, download and then? and then? how do you install it? nothing. you have to already know how to install it. Fortunately I was able to get fast answers from you (gimbal2 and from Sabre) who already knew, THANKS SO MUCH!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points