This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2012 9:37 PM by Todd Little RSS

Ratio/Interval policy options

916187 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

I'm new to TSAM and having hard time understanding the purposes/effects of ratio/interval (call path) policy options.

The product document indicates that with the default value of "1" each request will be monitored.

I've changed the values of this option to some non-default numbers (like 5 or 100), but did not notice any behavioral changes (I'm using TSAM 11.1.1.2).

Could somebody here explain what these options are good for?

Thanks.
  • 1. Re: Ratio/Interval policy options
    Todd Little Expert
    Hi,

You can either define a ratio or an interval for any given monitoring policy. If you select ratio, TSAM monitors every Nth call where N in the ratio number. So if you select a value like 5, then Tuxedo will only monitor every 5th item that matches the selection criteria. So if you have a client that calls service A and service A calls service B, only every 5th call made to service A (and as a result of callpath monitoring service B as well) will be monitored.

Interval monitoring operates in a similar manner, only instead of considering the number of calls made for something like callpath monitoring, TSAM will only record the next callpath after the interval has expired. So a value of 10 for an interval will mean that every 10 seconds or more, a callpath will be monitorer, and then another won't be monitored until another 10 seconds has passed.

When you say you couldn't see any behavioral change, can you explain what you did and what you observed?

Regards,
    Todd Little
    Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect
  • 2. Re: Ratio/Interval policy options
    916187 Newbie
    Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

I actually did change the ratio value of my call path motoring policy to 5 (and I also tried 100 and 65535) but still TSAM was monitoring every service request (All service requests afterward were listed in the Call Path Result List when I pressed Refresh button).

I tried the same thing with interval option and the result was the same.

I also rebooted Tuxedo and restarted TSAM manager to see if it changes the situation, but with no luck.
  • 3. Re: Ratio/Interval policy options
    Todd Little Expert
    Hi,

Are you certain you don't have multiple policies enabled? If you have one policy that enables callpath monitoring for a ratio of 1 and another with a ratio of 5, all callpaths will be monitored. Also remember that one policy setting in TSAM manager can enable collection of multple categories of data. So one policy can enable callpath, service, and system server monitoring. So if you have multiple policies, they may be overlapping one another.

You mention that you are using TSAM 11.1.1.2. Is this the version of the monitored system (TSAM agent), the TSAM Manager, or both?

Regards,
    Todd Little
  • 4. Re: Ratio/Interval policy options
    916187 Newbie
    Hi,

I have 3 policies and had changed the ration value of callpath monitoring in all of them.

Also remember that one policy setting in TSAM manager can enable collection of multple categories of data. So one policy can enable callpath, service, and system server monitoring.

Do you mean that if the ratio value for non-callpath (for example, XA transaction) category is 1, then it overrides the ratio value of callpath category (which is > 1 )? Next week, I will check which of the non-callpath categories are enabled and how the ratio values are set there.

Also, both TSAM manager and agent are 11.1.1.2 in this environment.

Thanks.
  • 5. Re: Ratio/Interval policy options
    Todd Little Expert
    Hi,

>
    Do you mean that if the ratio value for non-callpath (for example, XA transaction) category is 1, then it overrides the ratio value of callpath category (which is > 1 )?
    >

No, what I meant was that each monitoring policy allows defining policies for each monitoring category. Thus if monitoring policy A enables callpath monitoring with a ratio of 5 and another policy B that also enables callpath monitoring will conflict. I'm actually not certain which will take precedence, but you can see how there might be some confusion.

Regards,
    Todd Little

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points