7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2012 6:13 PM by safarmer RSS

Connectededition or classic edition

Hello
      I just start with Java card I want to know which version is better connected edition or classic
      I have to develop an authentification with electronic signature
      thinks
        • 1. Re: Connectededition or classic edition
          Umer
          913684 wrote:
          Hello
          I just start with Java card I want to know which version is better connected edition or classic
          You should download java card 2.2.1. It is available on oracle website.
          Don't go for classic i.e, 3.0 as no real cards are available for that version.

Regards
          Umer
          • 2. Re: Connectededition or classic edition
            rohit007
            Umer wrote:
            913684 wrote:
            Hello

Regards
            Umer
            umer i think u want to say dont go for connected ie 3.0 , dont u?
            • 3. Re: Connectededition or classic edition
              Umer
              rohit pathak wrote:
              Umer wrote:
              913684 wrote:
              Hello

Regards
              Umer
              umer i think u want to say dont go for connected ie 3.0 , dont u?
              Yes.
              • 4. Re: Connectededition or classic edition
                i can use classic ie 3.0 or no ??
                • 5. Re: Connectededition or classic edition
                  Umer
                  913684 wrote:
                  i can use classic ie 3.0 or no ??
                  Yes you can use but it is stated in many other threads by Sir Shane that there is no real card available for that version and it is useless to code in that version yet.
                  • 6. Re: Connectededition or classic edition
                    Jean-Damien LEBUI
                    Yes, you can use Classic Edition in JavaCard 3.0

Btw, don't limit yourself to "Card" when talking about JavaCard, it's a specification that you can find on other devices rather than smartcard. In terms of JavaCard 3.0, there's a partial implementation of this specification (Connected Edition) physically. As far as I know, There's no fully implementation of JavaCard 3.0 at the moment.

For illustration, you can easily find PlaySIM project on google to see how they are playing with "JavaCard 3.0".

Best regards,
                    JDL
                    • 7. Re: Connectededition or classic edition
                      safarmer
                      Hi,

For smartcard development stay away from JC 3 all together (for now). There may be some JC 3.0.x classic cards coming soon but if you want to use a card now stick with JC 2.2.x.

While there are other types of devices that could be running Java Card, the common use case is still smartcards and NFC devices.

PlaySIM has not been modified in about a year and looks to be a dead project. Other than testing, there are better options than a Java Card runtime not on a smartcard. JC was developed to solve a very specific problem of smartcard development. There has been talk of supporting USB flash sticks with a microprocessor running JC3 connected but it seems that secure flash sticks like these have specific encryption etc. While it is possible, there is not a lot out there at the moment doing things like this. Maybe it is an interesting opportunity though... but like I said I think there are more convenient technologies to use for this given microprocessors in these devices are becoming more powerful and have more RAM etc.

As always, that is just my $0.02 :)

Cheers,
                      Shane