1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2012 7:04 PM by 772452 Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: How to repair GRUB
        @ alan: this is the 'format' report ..

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg20/nweissma/Terminal_Format.png
        • 16. Re: How to repair GRUB
          alan.pae
          installgrub -fm /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0s0

should do it.

alan
          • 17. Re: How to repair GRUB
            you did it, lad !! : http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg20/nweissma/alan-DidItWork.png

note that when i entered your code, the whole thing wrapped around (i was cursing because i thought this was to be another dead-end). can i increase the number of characters that the terminal accepts before the line begins to wrap?

i want to show you the log file that gparted generated showing exactly what gparted did whie moving/resizing the ntfs partition but this log file, an .htm, exists only in root ; i can access root but i cannot induce the uploaders -- photobucket, mediafire, google docs -- to recognize it (your thoughts are solicited).

and i'd like to bring your attention to this ... noob seeks a learning partner in NYC

while i'm on a roll: how can i import my microsoft "favorites," "cookies," and other ms files - system and personal -- into solaris ?

Edited by: Neal Weissman on Feb 18, 2012 12:57 AM
            • 18. Re: How to repair GRUB
              alan.pae
              while i'm on a roll: how can i import my microsoft "favorites," "cookies," and other ms files - system and personal -- into solaris ?
              Easiest way is to just them on a USB device formatted FAT32. The harder way is to configure Solaris to recognize NTFS and just copy it from that partition.

And if you're going to change the topic then please start a new thread.

alan
              • 19. Re: How to repair GRUB
                *NEVER MIND! AM I DUMB {slaps myself in the forehead}!*
                the command should read /dev/ r*dsk/c3t0d0s0 .. oh, the trials and tribulations of a noob........!!
                grub has successfully been repaired and i am writing from my Solaris11 installation right now

Admins: can i delete these embarrassing foibles?

a long story, but i got myself into a hole: i tried to replace Solaris GRUB with Acronis Operating System Selector [OSS] (a sub-feature of Aconis Disk Director.) Acronis always was, and still is, a hellish experience -- i removed OSS and am trying to reinstall GRUB. i am following your instructions, supra, exactly .. but i am met with: "unable to gather device information for /dev/dsk/c3t2d0."

su - format returns:

**************************************************************************

root@new-host:~# format
                Searching for disks...done

c3t2d0: configured with capacity of 298.07GB

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
                0. c3t0d0 <ATA-ST3250312AS-JC49 cyl 21475 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63>
                /pci@0,0/pci1028,433@11/disk@0,0
                1. c3t2d0 <ATA-WDC WD3200JS-00P-0M21 cyl 38911 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63>
                /pci@0,0/pci1028,433@11/disk@2,0
                *****************************************************************************

[disk 1 is an archiving disk--there are no partitions on it; disk 0 holds NTFS and ZFS partitions]

this is where i obtained the "c3t2d0" value.

thus, i entered (as root): installgrub -fm /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/dsk/c3t2d0

it occurred to me, next day, to use "c3t0d0s0" [disk 0] -- this resulted in:

***************************************************************************************
                root@new-host:~# installgrub -fm /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/dsk/c3t0d0s0
                device /dev/dsk/c3t0d0s2 is not a char special device
                Unable to gather device information for /dev/dsk/c3t0d0s0
                root@new-host:~#

****************************************************************************************

where did i go wrong?

Edited by: Neal Weissman on Mar 28, 2012 2:12 PM

Edited by: Neal Weissman on Mar 28, 2012 2:39 PM

Edited by: Neal Weissman on Mar 28, 2012 2:45 PM

Edited by: Neal Weissman on Mar 28, 2012 8:03 PM
                1 2 Previous Next